Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forks won\'t unlock

Help! My key will not unlock my forks. I tried everything, wiggled the handlebars, tilted the bike up on the kickstand, it wont unlock. Yes, i am pushing down while turning the key. It goes into the parking light position just fine, but will not turn the other way out of the locked position. They key works just fine in the gas cap and the trunk. It does not look bent. Can anyone help me out, or has this happened to anyone else?

04 GSX-R 600 (less than a year old)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Re: Forks won\'t unlock

That's an odd one, never had that happened. You could try inspecting the slot and see if there's anything obstructing the key. Then if it's clear, try spraying some silicon lubricant spray in there to smooth things out. If that doesn't work, check the lock area to see if it's obstructed, and then check the yoke nut is done up to the correct tightness, having it too loose can cause something like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, I'll give it a try. If not, its going back to the stealership, as it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Call me crrazy but don't you have to push down to lock it, not unlock it? In the off position you push down and turn left to lock, while the handlebars are turned left. To unlock it you just turn the key to the right, no? It is such a no brainer common action that even I am confused.....damn I hate when that happens and my bike is at my friends garage.....yeah this will drive me nuts, lol.

·
Registered
545 Posts

The only solution - in the end) is, you will need to loosing the star/hex bolts that hold the ignition. note; that you do not need to completely remove it, only loosing it enough to un-jamm it....

this just happened to my friends sv650s, we messed with it a lot by, pushing the key in, jiggling the key and moving the forks back an forth but no good...

So' I had to un bolt the ignition form underneath... with the sv it's pretty easy, but I would not want to have to do it on the gix... if you have the tools and time, do it yourself, if your under warranty and you can get the bike to the shop (easy), then take to the shop, and have them do it....

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts

Call me crrazy but don't you have to push down to lock it, not unlock it? In the off position you push down and turn left to lock, while the handlebars are turned left. To unlock it you just turn the key to the right, no? It is such a no brainer common action that even I am confused.....damn I hate when that happens and my bike is at my friends garage.....yeah this will drive me nuts, lol.
I'm pretty sure. I've had mine act like it didn't want to unlock, and just turning it worked, where pushing and turning didn't. Sorry, it's been a long day and I'm feeling too lazy to go out to the garage and check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks all for the replies. We got it loaded on the trailer and it'll be going to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully its an easy fix. We thought about unbolting the ignition but since its still under warranty, i'll let the dealer figure this one out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks all for the replies. It pretty much drove me insane, so i got my friends trailer and loaded it up. It'll be going to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully its an easy fix. We thought about unbolting the ignition but since its still under warranty, i'll let the dealer figure this one out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK, for those who are interested, here's what happened at the dealer:

The guy who sold me my bike sees me trailering in my bike and asks me what's up. I tell lhim the situation, and he tries to unlock the steering - no luck. He goes in the shop and comes back out with some graphite (BTW, i tried the silicone spray and it didnt work), pours it into the key hole and pours some on both sides of the key, jams it up and down a few times in the key hole and presto! he unlocks it and turns the bike on. He said moisture or if you keep your key in your pocket and junk gets on it can jam up the lock... So, i felt pretty dumb, but at least it was an easy fix. After, i went straight to Advance Auto and bought 2 things of graphite, 1.19 each. Needless to say, one stays in my trunk.

·
Registered
213 Posts

make sure u get the repair documented so if its something else and it happens again after the warranty ends u can get the real problem fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

make sure u get the repair documented so if its something else and it happens again after the warranty ends u can get the real problem fixed.
Good point, I didnt even think about that. It wasnt an 'official' repair tho, but, i'll see if i can get it documented.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

damn, didnt know about that happening but glad you got it fixed
Thanks, yeah me too. Im just glad i wasnt far away. But if it ever happens again, hopefully i know how to fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts