Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed the preload adjusters fully in and my front forks still bottom out occasionally. I only weigh 150 pounds. I know I should buy harder springs but is it possible to put a few washers under the preload adjusters? In case it is possible to do that would it affect the damping? Thanks in advance for your help.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: wolf1127 ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
replace the springs.......you CAN put additional preload spacers if you want, but this may not make a noticeable improvement (it depends on the rate of the stock springs), and you will lose suspension travel. meaning that you may end up bottoming the forks regardless, because the springs have reached their physical compression limit.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Depending on the year of your bike you could put in spacers but why? New springs from RaceTech are only 99.00 and you could do the seals while you have them apart. The springs are most likely shot. At only a paltry 150lbs the stock spring should be fine. If you are not the orginal owner it was most likely owned by a fat guy that can wheelie like me (250lbs) and the springs are screaming in agony!
Bones

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]</p>

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Get new springs. I put spacers in mine and didn't notice a difference. It's not worth the effort.

·
Registered
97 Posts
sounds very likely that you could use more compression dampening as well as springs - - what is the suspension on your bike? i've used both racetech gold valves (cartridge forks) and cartridge emulators (damping rod forks), and they both work wonders - - especially the emulators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts