Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a list of parts ready to order, but I can't find the seal information in my Chilton or new factory service manual.

What am I looking for? the Chapparel lists the seals by model for dirt bikes, and by size for everything else, so since I can't find the size needed in my manuals, I'm stuck. The fork seal replacement chapter in the fac. service manual just says, remove and replace with new. No size info.

------------------

Twist this

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, from the looks of the photo your bike has the 43mm conventional forks (stock on all 88-90 750's). So I would go to a dealer and ask for the seals for those forks. Should be duck soup.

------------------
1990 GSXR750, reasonably modded

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#FS024 - 43x54x11 - 14.95

Chaparrel lists that size for 19.99 (leak proof)

24.99 (Pro Moly) and 16.99 (Bikemaster O.E.)

Sounds like this is one of those odd times the dealer can get it cheaper than internet!
I'll have to surf a bit more to see if there is a place that can beat the dealer...

------------------

Twist this

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey I'm no expert but I got burned by quick to leak after market seals (the name is forgotten) and had to do it again with stock seals!! generally it's hard to beat the OEM manufactorer for seals and gaskets.
PS to remove the fork guts (technical term) a piece of 3/4 inch thin metal conduit (EMT)about 3 feet long with one end carefully hammered into a square shape will hold the internals to remove the lower bolt.

------------------

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm no expert either but I had exactly the opposite experience with fork seals on a GPZ. The OEM seals blew out quick but the Pro-moly's worked awesome.

------------------
We are men of action, lies do not become us. Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we'll all be dead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy at work with a GS500 does a seal replacement almost every year when he gets back from bike week. I'll ask him if he's using OE or aftermarket. He says the compressed ride on the trailer down, or the sandy FL wind puts grains on the fork which break the seal. So he does the one bad seal each time now, instead of doing both everytime.

Anybody got more votes on OE vs. Pro Moly???

------------------

Twist this

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
some aftermarket companies sell fork tube 'shields' that go on the fork slider (bottom part), and it prevents things from hitting the fork tube and causing nicks and thus leaks.

you could probably even make your own out of an automotive radiator hose or something.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts