Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my forks is leaking and I wanna take it off myself before I take it to get fixed. I was wondering how do you guys prop the bike up? The exhaust pipes are right underneath as you know so I'm not quite sure what I should do.

Also, is it possible to take off only one fork? That would solve my problem if I could leave it sitting on the other one.

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
I put the bike on a rear stand, and then lifted under the oil sump with a hydraulic jack. That's a little "tippy", but I put jack stands loosely under the radiator mounts just in case, and it was ok. You *can* do one leg at a time, but you still have to get the front wheel to pull the leg, so the lifting issue is the same and there's not a lot to be gained.

The "right" way to do it is with a front end "pin" stand that inserts into the bottom of the steering head.

KeS

·
Registered
208 Posts
get the front stand with the peg that inserts into the center of the tripple clamp. OR you could strap it up to something sturdy overhead enough to support the weight of your bike. i recommend inserting the straps through the ram air holes in the frame. good luck!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
If you have a solid point in your garage to support the front end that is an option. How many miles are on the forks? If you think the leakage problem is just an isolated premature case then doing one fork seems Ok but if the bike has lots of miles/wear then since you are this far I'd do them both. Just my two cents.:cheers

·
Registered
209 Posts
gsxrK3 said:
Alrighty thanks guys. I don't have any stands(tho ide like to get some) so I'll probably try to hang it up tomorrow.
Ty
Not sure how you can live without at least a rear stand. But, for this, if you have a pair of jack stands, you can put the bike up on the frame rails below the footpegs. Pad them carefully, start with the bike on the side stand, place the right-hand stand, lever it up carefully, place the left-hand stand. Works better with a helper, and don't blame me if you drop it.

KeS

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
I have rear sets which if you have non folding pegs you can set each peg on a jack stand. If not take a steel rod and put it through the swing arm pivot and do the same. Then take some really good tie straps and hook the triple clamp to your rafters to support the front. If you have sheet rocked the garage then get some 3/8" x 6" eye bolts and screw them into the rafters and attach your hooks there. Worksliek a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.