Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had a local shop install new springs into my forks and I was going to set the rebound damper back to stock which is 1.5 turns from stiffest position. However, my left fork rebound damper only turns 1.25 turns and the right turns a lot more (didn't fully count but more than 5). This is my first time messing with any suspension so I'm thinking it is not correct that the left one only turns that little amount. Would I be correct and if so, what is the cause or fix for it? Would the spring need to be reinstalled?

Thanks,

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
You didn't mention which model year you have but essentially different forks have different ways of setting the rebound adjuster when the fork is being reassembled. Some forks have a jam nut on the end of the damper rod that has to be set to a specific height and then the fork cap gets screwed down onto it, others you have to set the adjuster out to its softest setting before reinstalling so that its in the right spot.

But if it turns out 5 vs 1.5 then someone didn't re-assemble your forks properly. But again, depending on what model year you have there would determine the procedure to fix it. But in any even you'll probably want to get a service manual for the bike if you plan on doing it yourself as opposed to bringing it back to the shop and telling them to fix it properly since you paid for the work to be done already I'm assuming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the bike is an 05' 750. Since they replaced the springs for me, I also had them replace the seals. I am not sure if they would have had to adjust the nut or take it off to do any of the work. I can almost see them saying they didn't touch that part of the fork and just left it the way it was when I brought it into them.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Sorry, the bike is an 05' 750. Since they replaced the springs for me, I also had them replace the seals. I am not sure if they would have had to adjust the nut or take it off to do any of the work. I can almost see them saying they didn't touch that part of the fork and just left it the way it was when I brought it into them.
If you download a copy of the service manual and look at the section that details how to dismantle the fork in order to swap springs you'll see that they HAVE to touch that part of it to take it apart :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
SPL170db
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing