Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Fork question

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Cherry871100H 
#1 ·
has anybody else taken apart their forks on an 88 or similar GSX-R?

My question is about some washers above what is called an oil control whatever on the microfiche

It shows a wave washer and a regular washer and another wave washer. All I found was a wave washer, both legs were the same.

#2 ·
Here's an option for ya, Mr. Gix, buy my 92's inverted front end
stuffs nearly mint.
-just thinking it might be an option for you.
I'll check my manual for your question though, its in the car so I will check in the morning
Karl

#4 ·
Hey Brian, I'm back from the dead.

Anyways yeah. I remember when I did the forks on my 86 there were those washers. Except on mine 1 fork had 2 and the other had 1.. I thought this was weird??
Check the end of the tube where they sit as they can get stuck on to it. Thats where I found the other one. It has to be in there unless someone has already tried redoing the fork seals.
And dont forget to change the teflon bushings!

#5 ·

so #20 is the aluminum cone, and on top of it goes the wave washer then a washer then another wave washer?

here is a pic.

the first is just the rod, the second is the rod with the cone and no washer first, and the third is with one wave washer.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Mr Gixxer ]

#6 ·
okay I am now more confused

I found all the washers, two were in the oil (doh!) and the other two were in the bottom of one leg

the confusing part is the fiche, it shows them going on top of the cone, but I know that I just pulled out the missing ones from what would be under the cone.

#7 ·
Correct.. wave washer, flat, wave washer. If I'm not mistaken that "cone" your talking about is actually the bumper-stop thing. Confused me at first. The picture is of it upside down. Then there should be the bottom spring sitting on top of that correct? (if pic was other way round of course.)

#8 ·
okay problem solved! I found a guy on Ebay selling a service manual, and he is in Vancouver less than 10 minutes from my house. He let me have the manual for $10 Canadian.

Anyways somebody must have put my forks back together wrong, as the service manual has pictures that match the microfiche. That could also be why the bikes handling sucked!

So now I can finish off my Race-Tech install...WooHoo!

#9 ·
I was out of town or I would have helped you sooner.

Your picture is correct and Diablo187 is right. It goes wave flat wave. It is probably like you said, someone put them together wrong before. The manual will make everything easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.