Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To measure the fork oil level, you drop the outer sleeve down. Push in the cartridge rod without the spring and you measure 4 inchs (or 103-115mm) from the very top of the forks till the ruller touches liquid.

My forks are bottoming out at when I do a hard stoppie and push down on the forks. The zip tie would stop it and get crushed. Do you think I have the wrong fork height?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Stock is 103mm or so if I remember correctly. Alot of suspension outfits run closer to 120mm. I run 140mm in mine which are extended. Correct springs and better compression valving my help alot more than one might think. The compression valve can make a big difference in what oil height you'd really need along with oil weight. There are so many variables.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
What Phil said, but...

are you sure you bled the air out of the cartridges before setting the oil height? And are you sure about that oil height. Like you said - 4 inches is a little over 100 mm, which makes for a very small air gap, and alot of progression. I remember my forks when they were bone stock - and I was WAY heavy for them... the first 3/4 of travel they were mush. But even with springs way light for me, there's no way I could get them to bottom out. No way.

Personally, I'd check them again.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
103mm = 4.05inchs The forks are worked with traxxion internals with .95 spring I am 205-209 with leathers. So you guys think I have too much oil in there? But wouldnt too much fluid give me less suspension travel?

I am sure its fully purged, I stroked the cartridge several times about 10-12 times and left them open for 5 min each. I also made sure the fluid stayed over the spring perch when purging.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
no - if anything, you have too little. In other words, the higher your oil level measurement... the lower your oil level.

You've kind of got me stumped on this one. You've got fat springs, you don't weigh that much, your oil level sounds excessive if anything... I don't know why you're bottoming out.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im stumped also! When I measured it, I measured with the cartridge rod all the way down. Was I suppose to measure it with it being extended out?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here's the only thing I can think of then. Too much rebound damping (forks are packing) and/or too little compression damping.

Traxxion usually sets thier oil levels around 110-120mm for Showa forks. Unless you are running Kayaba forks off of a 1000. Then the oil heights should be closer to 90-95mm. I don't know why they are so different, but they are.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called max at traxxion and he said the fork height at 103mm (He recommended 113mm with the valves) is fine and it shouldnt be doing that. I will crack them open again and recheck the height, before I take them back to the suspension tuner.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
this is completely off the cuff... only because I don't have any good answers. But are your forks sealed up well around the caps? The o-rings weren't left out or damaged, were they?

I honestly don't know how much, if any, an impact this would make. Pretty much just shooting in the dark now.

Phil brought up a good point - could be too much rebound. Might want to investigate that as well.

No possibility of actual physical damage to the cartridges, is there?

Also - I assume you have good sag #s? Could the spacers be cut too short?

Good luck finding your problem, Ibid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts