Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys well tommorow i'm going to pickup my new bike...

I bought Oldgixxers 89 7/11........

I have searched the site for all the answers, but i feel i'm missing something, or some info.

I want to do a set of USD forks......From what i've read, i want to use the 1100 forks....

Now in order to do the swap as easy as possible, what is all the hardware i need.

Since i'm an E-bay freak, i need to know what year items i can look for. Please be specific with compatible years and parts i can use...

Thanks guys.........I'm finally back in the game now!

·
Registered
461 Posts
you will need the front forks, triple clamps, clip ons, 17X3.5" wheel, 120/70/17 front tire, 20mm wheel soacer, 20mm speedo drive, calipers, hoses, rotors and steering head bearings(might as well change them while you have it all apart).
from spceific models:
from 1988-1995 GSXR750 or 1989-1998 GSXR1100.
steering stops have to be grinded out, but other than that, it just slides right in like a pimple faced kid on prom night.

[ 09-02-2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: karl_1052 ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karl.....check your PM's.........

If anyone has a setup layin around, shoot me an email!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
As you have a 89 you just need to change the wheel bearings. The 91-92 forks work best as they have the same steering stops as yours. the 93-98 1100 needs the steering stops ground off and a tab welded in the proper place.You need the fender, axle, triple clamps, and do not forget to get the steering dampener clamp for the larger fork tubes. Your calimpers will work off of your but while you are at it you might as well update to six piston calipers.
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've been hot and cold about doing a USD conversion on my `89 1100... I have *got* to do something this winter because the damn fork tubes have play in them and it *really* affects how the bike works when leaned over.

...ANYway, I figured Bones or some of you other guys who've actually done the USD conversion can tell me... is the difference in handling *really* worth adding the extra weight of the USD forks? I mean, some people say "hell yeah, do it." but I'm not sure that that's not just an automatic response to adding newer stuff... Will my "conventional" forks work as well as the USD kind if I get Lindemann or Racetech or similar re-valving? Or is the $$$ required to get the OEM up to snuff better spent on just swapping to newer, heavier, USD-style forks? I'm on a budget, but I'm more concerned with weight than with what the whole package is gonna cost me. I'll just wait til I have the money saved up to do this right the first time (I do *not* wanna do it twice).

Please, I only wanna hear from people who have actually done this mod themselves... I already have enough confusing/conflicting info from people who have an opinion... I'm looking for personal experience; I thought this thread would be a good place to ask.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hey if any body is interested I have my 92 1100 tripple tree and clip-ons, sorry the forks are gone but it would get ya started...
-Karl

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fastcat, I read somewhere the weight difference is only about 8lbs, not alot, but it is substantial.
The main reason I swapped was to get het 17" front on there without playing the whole spacer game(plus I needed new fork selas again
I do think it feels alot more planted and solid, but I think a custom valving job from LE, or any other suspesion shop would be just as good(I don't know about better).
It does look alot better with the USDs though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 6'5", and 285 lbs.......I need all the help i can get in the suspension dept...

Fast Cat.......Very good question actually....

I guees maybe i should get my 40MM FS first!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
I've been hot and cold about doing a USD conversion on my `89 1100... I have *got* to do something this winter because the damn fork tubes have play in them and it *really* affects how the bike works when leaned over.

...ANYway, I figured Bones or some of you other guys who've actually done the USD conversion can tell me... is the difference in handling *really* worth adding the extra weight of the USD forks? I mean, some people say "hell yeah, do it." but I'm not sure that that's not just an automatic response to adding newer stuff... Will my "conventional" forks work as well as the USD kind if I get Lindemann or Racetech or similar re-valving? Or is the $$$ required to get the OEM up to snuff better spent on just swapping to newer, heavier, USD-style forks? I'm on a budget, but I'm more concerned with weight than with what the whole package is gonna cost me. I'll just wait til I have the money saved up to do this right the first time (I do *not* wanna do it twice).

Please, I only wanna hear from people who have actually done this mod themselves... I already have enough confusing/conflicting info from people who have an opinion... I'm looking for personal experience; I thought this thread would be a good place to ask.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ummm weight penalty? my gsxr 1000 forks weigh in at 6lbs a piece, what do yuo think your stockers weigh?
-Karl

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here is my take on the suspension/wheel upgrades on the 1st gen gixxers. Of course, this is IMHO, and YMMV and all that.

The 1st gen gixxers are light, but their steering geometry is pretty conservative by modern standards (26 degree rake, 105 mm trail). If you go about slapping on USD forks and 5.5" rear wheel with a 180 tire you've just added more weight to it and made the steering slower. Go feel the weight difference between the stock '86 ~ '87 18" wheels and the '88 ~ '95 17" wheels; the weight difference is substantial.

The best compromise for the rear is a 4.5" wheel from the '88 ~ '89 750. With this setup you can run modern 160 tires and still keep the steering relative light. I've tried both 4.5" and 5.5" wheels, and I prefer the 4.5".

For the front, get rid of the non-adjustable damper rod forks and go with cartridge forks, which Lindemann and any suspension shop can spring/valve to suit your needs. Personally, I think the USD forks are more of a pose value, because (1) the '91 ~ '95 USD forks are heavier than the right-side-up forks, and (2) the 1st gen's limiting factor is in the frame/swingarm. Given that, the cartridge forks from the '88 ~ '89 750 or from a 600 would be a good choice. USD forks from '00 on might be lighter, but I have no experience with those. Also, the build quality from the later USD forks might be better; perhaps a call to Lindemann will get you better answers.

After you've made all these changes it's also a good idea to get your bike Computracked to get the geometry right.

Again, this is IMHO and YMMV.

Yancy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts