Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this doesn't become a piss on Michelin or anyother brand thread. Anyways, for those of you who have used or are currently using Power Race tires, I was wondering what compounds you chose and under what conditions. Conditions meaning type of track (tight & technical, high speed/long turns, abrassive or smooth surface) and air temps (cold, average, hot). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am using the power race mediums
used it for daytona and jennings
becoming familiar with it and starting to get use to em
Jennings is technical and filled with tight turns. How did the mediums perform compared to other DOT races you tried? Any "surprises" with the mediums as far as sliding?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I am using the mediums as well. I feel they are very solid on the brakes-very stable! I used BT-002's last year which were great for about 10 laps but went off very quickly. The michelins felt great even after 90+ laps and never went 'off'. I do use tire warmers. Handling wise they don't feel all that different than the 'stones that I had before, but I am not all that fast so take that as you will

-Spooner

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
If you want, I have the Michelin "tyre guide" CD meant for dealers, which basically takes all of those variables in and tells you what sort of tire Michelin thinks you should be using. Just tell me what the conditons are (all of that stuff you mentioned above) and I can run it through this program to see what it tells me.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am using the mediums as well. I feel they are very solid on the brakes-very stable! I used BT-002's last year which were great for about 10 laps but went off very quickly. The michelins felt great even after 90+ laps and never went 'off'. I do use tire warmers. Handling wise they don't feel all that different than the 'stones that I had before, but I am not all that fast so take that as you will

-Spooner
funny thing is those that have never ran the old michelins (s2 m2 stuff) really liked the new michelins. i am slowly starting to like em and and get used to em.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I run the PR-5 rear and PR-1 (I think) front. The front is way too soft for our tight and technical track, and I think it's too soft in general. Track temp was 100ish on our last race weekend and I was running 21 in the rear, 32 up front. Was getting slight cold tear with 22 in the rear. I don't use tire warmers either, although I have some on the way.

The last tires I raced on were the Dunlop 208GPs. World of difference. I have 80 laps on my practice set and they still stick like glue. I think the 208s lasted longer, but they started sliding after 15 laps on them.

Everyone I've talked to who were on the old Michelin's don't like the new ones. Something like 9mm shorter in the front from the old to the new. However, I came from the 208s and the difference was ~1mm in the front, so I didn't change a thing in bike setup.

I will swear by the PR-5 rear, that thing is gorilla snot.

·
Registered
836 Posts
PDB try the PR2 front next time and bump tire pressure up to 33lbs
that should make it better
Yep, gonna do the PR2 next time...he didn't have any with him (his shipment didn't arrive in time for the race weekend).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.