Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my first track day I touched my foot peg on a hairpin and instead of the peg pivoting up it seemed to catch and nearly upset the bike. At the end of the session I noted that there is a bolt sticking diagonally down from the end of the peg which was gouged and apparently caught on the asphalt. What is the purpose of that extra piece and would it not be less likely to catch if this was removed? I'm sure its there for something but ????? Certainly didn't do anything for me.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,820 Posts
Pretty much.

Get some aftermarket pegs that you can move up and back for better ground clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's exactly what I did but afterwards I couldn't help thinking that the folks at suzuki don't throw extra parts on for nothing. In this case I think it seems more likely to catch than the end of the peg which is angled just to avoid such mishaps. Now I just have to work on some better body position so I don't have to lean the bike so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are scraping your footpeg on your first trackday it is likely due to poor body position. You need to get off the bike so that you don't carry so much lean angle. If your toes or footpeg are touching but your knee isn't that is a HUGE RED FLAG! You WILL crash if you try to go faster and do not correct your body position. Also, take the feeler off :)

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
If you are scraping your footpeg on your first trackday it is likely due to poor body position. You need to get off the bike so that you don't carry so much lean angle. If your toes or footpeg are touching but your knee isn't that is a HUGE RED FLAG! You WILL crash if you try to go faster and do not correct your body position. Also, take the feeler off :)
This. With proper body positioning your knee will touch long before the footpeg feeler, even with stock pegs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For track riding, I recommend removing the feelers. Most stock bikes can easily touch these down on the track and they just scare newbies.

As mentioned above though, getting good body position will help reduce the pegs touching, but if you are going pretty good, they will touch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts