Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know that the best thing to do after training is to have a Protein Shake and good quality carbs, and I know how to diet & train etc
I have always had my shake and carbs after training. BUT...I work in a remote area and i am gone from the Camp where we stay during our work rotation.
My problem is that at work all day I Drink Shakes and have Protein bars and after work I am just craving some actual food. I train after work, so it is just alot easier to go train and then to the kitchen to eat. I have a really fast metabolism, but feel really bloated eating right after training.
So what I am wondering is, how many people eat a meal after training instead of a Shake and are you loosing the benefits of getting max absorbtion by the muscles with the shake or is it pretty much the same?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
...So what I am wondering is, how many people eat a meal after training instead of a Shake and are you loosing the benefits of getting max absorbtion by the muscles with the shake or is it pretty much the same?
Supplements are exaclty that..."supplements", not meal replacements. You should really be eating normally and supplementing your meals with the shakes. I typically down a Muscle Milk after I leave the gym, but only because I can't immediately eat a meal. Other than that, I get all my protein from food. I think it's always best to get your protein from food if you can but a protein shake is better than nothing.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Well, your requirements post workout are different than the rest of the day. You've torn up your body so you need nutrients to be delivered fast.

Whey digests and is absorbed fast, a steak for example digests very slowly. Also grease and fats will slow the absorption process as well. You want simple carbs to spike your insulin and fast absorbing proteins. So to a point, eating the wrong kinds of macros post workout will inhibit the recovery process a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know exactly what you guys are saying. And I completely realize food is the best source for your Proteins. But as SLP said you want quick absorbing proteins and this is why Shakes IMO and others, are viewed as the best post workout source. Like stated I have always gone this way, and within 1 1/2 hrs I am needing food since by body uses up the Shake and carbs quickly.
I guess i was just looking for some proof that eating after working out is totally bad lol...but it really isnt. I like my food and especially after a 12-13 hr day I just wanna eat something besides Boiled eggs, Protein bars and Shakes as protein sources.
Thanks guys!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Not TOTALLY bad, it's obviously not nearly as bad as not eating anything at all. THAT would be totally bad. But I think unless your plans involve very specific fitness goals or you are trying to step onstage in the near future it's probably not going to amount to major difference.

·
100% Rooster
192 Posts
Nothing will ever beat real food no matter if your goals body composition change or sports performance. All whey protein is just dairy a processed form of milk. Most likely if you buy a whey protein powder it has all types of fillers and crap in it. The people making the shakes just want to make money off you they will never put quality ingredients in they always go the cheap route. If your goals sports performance spiking your insulin post work out would be helpful to up your glycogen levels but id rather have a yam or some fruit for that. Protein post work out is needed but EAT MEAT don't buy into the sales pitch that whey is the greatest thing ever its just a cheap form of milk. Im a fan of paleo nutrition i have been a fitness trainer since 2001 nothing is better for your health then real food.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Nothing will ever beat real food no matter if your goals body composition change or sports performance. All whey protein is just dairy a processed form of milk. Most likely if you buy a whey protein powder it has all types of fillers and crap in it. The people making the shakes just want to make money off you they will never put quality ingredients in they always go the cheap route. If your goals sports performance spiking your insulin post work out would be helpful to up your glycogen levels but id rather have a yam or some fruit for that. Protein post work out is needed but EAT MEAT don't buy into the sales pitch that whey is the greatest thing ever its just a cheap form of milk. Im a fan of paleo nutrition i have been a fitness trainer since 2001 nothing is better for your health then real food.

He's not making the arguement about the REST of the time, he's asking specifically about post-workout meal.

I don't think you'll find too many fitness professionals that would advise you to eat slow digesting proteins like beef and eggs and low glycemic carbs like yams immediately post-workout. An hour or two after your post-workout meal sure, but not immediately following it.

·
100% Rooster
192 Posts
He's not making the argument about the REST of the time, he's asking specifically about post-workout meal.

I don't think you'll find too many fitness professionals that would advise you to eat slow digesting proteins like beef and eggs and low glycemic carbs like yams immediately post-workout. An hour or two after your post-workout meal sure, but not immediately following it.
ever look up the ingredients in your whey protein if you have not you should type in all the ingredients one by one see if they are good for you. If your goals general health and are not a paid fitness professional more power to you for wanting that stuff in your body. Theres many studies that whole milk is better then whey protein. i personally eat salmon and vegetables post workout. Im a crossfit trainer i have a biase towards real food.

·
100% Rooster
192 Posts
artificial flavors, soy leciten (good luck digesting soy) aceesuifame (why you would want that idk look up the health effects) plus all the (milk)* *promina brand has all types of un pronounceable things that Im sure are not healthy. Im not trying to be rude i just don't care for sales pitches with food i have a hatred for them after 10+ years and more then 20000 client hours nothing to me is better then real food.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
i eat when i want. plain and simple. why not do the shake post workout and have a meal when you are hungry? as SPL said, there are fast and slow absorbing proteins, so use a fast absorbing shake and then eat when you get hungry later? the thing is, don't get bent out of shape counting grams and timing things with a stopwatch. you know who does that? professionals. and they dedicate all of their time to it, as they don't work 12 hour days on the rigs. you know the right foods to eat, and i don't really think it really matters when you eat after a workout, as long as you eat once you are hungry. if you deny yourself the food, your body will not repair itself accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MacBayne I see you are from Edmonton. I am from Nova Scotia but work up in Fort McMurray. I operate Heavy Equipment.

·
the gun show
3,186 Posts
Well, your requirements post workout are different than the rest of the day. You've torn up your body so you need nutrients to be delivered fast.

Whey digests and is absorbed fast, a steak for example digests very slowly. Also grease and fats will slow the absorption process as well. You want simple carbs to spike your insulin and fast absorbing proteins. So to a point, eating the wrong kinds of macros post workout will inhibit the recovery process a bit.
i eat when i want. plain and simple. why not do the shake post workout and have a meal when you are hungry? as SPL said, there are fast and slow absorbing proteins, so use a fast absorbing shake and then eat when you get hungry later? the thing is, don't get bent out of shape counting grams and timing things with a stopwatch. you know who does that? professionals. and they dedicate all of their time to it, as they don't work 12 hour days on the rigs. you know the right foods to eat, and i don't really think it really matters when you eat after a workout, as long as you eat once you are hungry. if you deny yourself the food, your body will not repair itself accordingly.
Good stuff.

True, post-workout recovery and nutrition are really the keys to muscle growth, be it immediately after or within 36 hrs. So why not have a quick little protein supp right after, then eat real food as soon as you can. That's what I do...immediately after I have a serving of protein (not a full meal replacement) and maybe a banana or some nuts. Then I make and eat a good whole-foods dinner.

It would be beneficial to try to cut down on the amount of engineered foods you take. As said, they are suppliments and even the best "meal replacement" can't really take the place of good food. The only other thing I would add is...try not to let yourself get hungry. Even though hunger is a relative term, you should not be getting to a point where you are actually hungry. If you time it right, you'll just be eating something as you barely begin to feel any hunger. Of course that's the goal in a perfect nutrition plan, but not reality.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
MacBayne I see you are from Edmonton. I am from Nova Scotia but work up in Fort McMurray. I operate Heavy Equipment.
i am from the eastern shore halfway between halifax and port hawkesbury. you from sydney?

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am from the eastern shore halfway between halifax and port hawkesbury. you from sydney?
I am from Sydney yes. Raced at Shubie for a few years but no time anymore working in Fort McMurray.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Shakes are full of fillers and there are only a few that are good so I stay away from them. It is easy to do more harm then good with shakes.

I eat a protein bar before my work out and I have no hunger after. If I am hungry for some reason I eat a yogurt of some fruit.

If you work out everyday switch to 4 small meals a day with a protein bar before the workout. Best thing I ever did and I am pissed I didt start doing it a year ago.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of debating going on here. I guess i was just looking to see if there's any proven facts to show that eating food is not the way to go post workout as i have never done this. And i know all about dieting and how many meals i should be eating... I did a body building show back in 2001 and placed 5th outta 10... My genetics gave me small legs and this is what hurts me. I trained very serious over the years and i am just looking to get max benefits from training and eating. Just tring to get ripped up for summer time so going hard now. And ya i have a protein bar and usually like granola bars before training. It's tough sitting I'n a machine all day so i don't have access to a microwave to warm up food. So it's a Shake, boiled eggs and protein bars all day with veggies and little fruit for now.

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Re: Food vs Shake for Post workout ?

This.
Not necessarily. If you do your research and are meticulous about what you put in your body, you will not have any problems. Since most people buy the bullshit at Wal-Mart or GNC they are buying junk.... Truscience.com
Shakes are full of fillers and there are only a few that are good so I stay away from them. It is easy to do more harm then good with shakes.

I eat a protein bar before my work out and I have no hunger after. If I am hungry for some reason I eat a yogurt of some fruit.

If you work out everyday switch to 4 small meals a day with a protein bar before the workout. Best thing I ever did and I am pissed I didt start doing it a year ago.
Nope. 99.9% of all protein bars are full of shitty quality protein, sugar, and processed junk. They are not a healthy alternative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to do the Whey protein, but I found out that shit gives me kidney stones...if you do use it make sure you are drinking a lot of water throughout the day!! I always enjoy a half a chicken breast after a workout. Yummy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
JetBlast
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing