Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's like this...I'm doing an auxillary oil cooler on the carb side of the motor.

The plumbing on the untouched motor is a fitting with a "Y" bolted to the top of the motor just infront of the clutch. It then splits left and right to the top of the motor just above the carb intakes.

On my project the line comes out the same place, goes rearward to the cooler mounted under the seat. After flowing through the cooler, the line comes back toward the motor.

Here's the question. I now have to divert the oil to the fittings just above the carb intakes. To do this I have a fitting that allows for the AN fittings to be employed in one of two configurations.

The first is a "T" configuration. The oil would be coming from the bottom of the "T", where it would be "stopped" at the top of the "T". Then the oil would flow left and right to the sides of the "T" to the motor.

The other configuration is what I'll call the "L+" configuration. The oil comes from the bottom corner of the "L" flowing in the direction of the top of the "L".

Here's what bothers me about the "L+" format...I learned years ago how to create a vacuum by flowing water through a fitting like that. The water passes by the extended portion of the joint creating suction. We use a machine just like that here in the clinic to aspirate fluid (ususally blood) away from things. I saw on JOEY-GSXR1100's motor the type of joint I'm worried about...

I'm NOT an expert at this kind of science...and I'll bet Joey's line configuration isn't pulling oil from the left side of the motor over to right.

Any guesses folks??

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: bcklrcr ]

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think either way would work fine, I have seen race motors set up both ways. The oil in the lines is under considerable presure forcing it to flow both directions. If you have cams in that motor you also need a top end oiling kit from ape. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I might be worried about oil following "the path of least resistance" ..more oil to the right side than the left with an "L" setup..that oil is being forced straight by the pressure, would it go off to the left? Just guessing, but it did come from the factory with a "Y"...

·
Registered
77 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcklrcr:
It's like this...I'm doing an auxillary oil cooler on the carb side of the motor.

The plumbing on the untouched motor is a fitting with a "Y" bolted to the top of the motor just infront of the clutch. It then splits left and right to the top of the motor just above the carb intakes.

On my project the line comes out the same place, goes rearward to the cooler mounted under the seat. After flowing through the cooler, the line comes back toward the motor.

<snip>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Question on this aux oil cooler that you are adding. Are you planning on using -6 lines, -8 lines, or a combination of both? I also have a head cooler set up but I'm using -6 lines throughout. I'm starting to think that it would be a good idea to use -8 lines from the motor to the cooler, from the cooler to the T fitting, and then use a couple of reducers to bring the 2 -8 outputs from the T fitting down to -6 lines to go to the head. If you look at the stock Y lines, the inlet hole is bigger than the ones going to the head.

Yancy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This cooler is plumbed with -8 throughout. Here are all the parts for that project...

The cooler I put in the front I did with -6 and it has about 15 hours on it without any problems. See below...

·
Registered
257 Posts
It will depend most on what those lines go to in the head (not sure off the top of my head and I don't have a manual handy) but I would definitely go for the "T" configuration just to be safe. If there is some sort of oriface or restriction in the heads which is the main limiter on flow either configuration should work fine, but if the system is free flowing I think you'll definitely get more flow through the "straight-though" leg.

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I'd be concerned about the cam feed lines going back to an underfender cooler. I'd want a one way check valve on the pressure side to ensure that the whole works didn't empty back into the sump, giving a 'dry sump' effect to the cams until the hoses filled, the cooler filled and then flowed back and up to the cams. Normally the aux coolers done on the cam feeds are mounted in the front of the motor just above the head, with the cooler intakes on the top, so oil is immediately available when you start up. IE, the output from the oil pump (in front of the clutch) goes directly to the intake of the cooler (one line) then splits at the output into the two lines necessary for both sides.

Agree about the cam feed lines as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts