Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gixxerider86, do you have a wet clutch? If so, you cannot run synthetic oil. Too slippery! Stick to suzuki 10-40. It will cause those problems.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Gixxerider86, do you have a wet clutch? If so, you cannot run synthetic oil. Too slippery! Stick to suzuki 10-40. It will cause those problems.
It depends highly on the synthetic oil you're using. I switched to Rotella T6 Full synthetic 5W40 oil about 12 years ago on my oil cooled GSXR's and it's the best oil I've ever used. It's made for diesel engines so it has no detergents and can easily handle the sheering factor and extreme heat of a 1985 or 1986 GSXR 750.

I've owned my 1985 GSXR for 33 years and during the summer, I ride with a group on 4 or 5 day road trips. I rode it like a hooligan when I was in my early 20's and now I ride it fast but not like an idiot. I have a barnet clutch with barnet springs and I put that clutch in back in 1992. Zero slippage.

These issues are less important on my dry clutch limited but it also get the Rotella.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
:facepalm :facepalm Synthetic oils are the best for your motor. you want to look for the JASO-MA/MA2 rating which deems the oil safe for wet clutch application. I have always used synthetic oils and up until recently, like @awasson mentioned, I have switched to 15w-40 Rotella T6

my clutch slippage was due to needing heavier springs. I ended up with Barnett springs on this bike, but the other '86 im currently working on had issues with the OEM springs as well. fixed the problem by simply adding washers to the springs for more preload

21 - 24 of 24 Posts