Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Funny

Same thing: I remember in the 80s you could buy strobe lights at radio shack. Turn it on and sync it to a ceiling fan to make it look like it's moving at like 1" per second (but really at FULL FUCKING SPEED) and let the fun begin :lol

I still remember the ratatatatatatatatat sound of knuckles on wood :lmao

·
7,745 Posts
I'm assuming everyone else obviously knows the effect that makes the bird appear to be 'floating' (wingbeats synched to the framerate of the camera) and that there are also some other old farts who fucked around with strobes in the 70s and 80s.

Or not. Carry on.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
That's pretty cool. :lol

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming everyone else obviously knows the effect that makes the bird appear to be 'floating' (wingbeats synched to the framerate of the camera) and that there are also some other old farts who fucked around with strobes in the 70s and 80s.

Or not. Carry on.

For those who don't . Here is a very detailed explanation :cheers:

·
7,745 Posts
No no, that's rolling shutter effect. That's an optical distortion* induced by the scan speed of the CMOS in a digital camera being outpaced by the subject being filmed. Not at all the same thing.

The bird's wings appearing stationary is simply because the camera records a frame each time the bird's wings are precisely at the same place. Nothing anywhere nearly as complex. Play that back and you only see the frames when the wings are always in the same place.

Same as the ceiling fan prank I mentioned. Instead of a camera recording a frame, the strobe light only lets the eye see the fan blade for the micro-second (sort of like a frame in a video) that the strobe lights-up the subject. You manually time the strobe light for the desired 'apparent' fan speed.

Different media, same principle.. but nothing to do with rolling shutter effect.

So you taunt your friends saying they're not strong enough to stop that slooooowly-moving fan and wait for the ratatatatatataatat :lmao

* note that the propellers are fucked-up looking (distorted) while the bird wings and ceiling fan blades look normal..... (just timing).

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
Burn it ,its a witch.:grin2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts