Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a float level that is off a millimeter or two effect the idle so badly that it barely runs? The bike ran perfectly before the jet kit.......now it will only run on full choke and won't accept any throttle. The float heights were maybe 1 to 1.5mm less than they should have been. Haven't had time to try it again.......R

· Registered
977 Posts
Not if it's only off a millimeter or two. Did someone rip your slide diaphrams? Are you sure the bike is getting gas, i.e. petcock is not plugged? Did you remember to reinstall the vacuum line to the petcock when you put the tank back on? Simple things, I know, but I've had all of these things cause symptoms like you are describing.

3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm missing something. Definitely has gas and spark. I did the kit myself and everything seems ok.......even took out the emulsion tubes to get a closer look and make sure they weren't worn. Well, now my float heights are reset too so I hope I find something else...Have to take a fresh look at it when I get home.

3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kit are you using and what is your current set up?
FactoryPro kit with 135 mains, and the alternate needle in the second clip. Bike has stock internals with a Yosh pipe, 5 degree advance, and K&N's.

I'll try the needle position if I don't make any progress, but isn't that more of a midrange adjustment? This thing barely runs at all......only fully choked, and if ya blip the throttle it dies:(

Thanks!...

· Registered
139 Posts
im having a similar problem.

Just intalled my Factorypro kit 3.0 and now my bike won't start at all..

i have fuel, spark and air.... and i can't get it to start.

not trying to highjack....

· Registered
523 Posts
im having a similar problem.

Just intalled my Factorypro kit 3.0 and now my bike won't start at all..

i have fuel, spark and air.... and i can't get it to start.

not trying to highjack....
Stage 3 right.

Pilot jet, Fuel Screw, which carbs?????

· Registered
139 Posts
well i got mine running.... starter fluid makes me happy.

i had to adjust the idle screw big time and i had the throttle cable way to tight.

Finally got to take a ride around my block. now to just have the bike tuned and i'll be good.

· Registered
3,376 Posts
Be sure that your float-level isn't so far off that it's allowing the float-bowls to overflow and drain fuel down into the cyl-head. If it's already don that (and assuming that was the source of your trouble) then you will need to change the oil for-sure.

It's also possible that your recent installation of the jet-kit has somehow allowed some foreign-material to get lodged in the pilot-jet (that hole is tiny, tiny tiny!) If you're gonna pull the carbs again anyway, be sure to have a good look at the pilot jet and also double-check your fuel-screw settings (2-3 turns out should be in the ballpark close enough to get it started).

· Registered
327 Posts
It's got to be pilot settings?

Most kits have a smaller pilot jet, so you will have to wind out your oilot screw to compensate.

The off idle stall indicates this.

You may have to drill out a plug on US models

3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got a chance to look at it. Somehow I had the tank vent line hooked to the petcock instead of the vacuum line!!!! Duh!(tbrown your a prophet)........but still having problems. It rips above 4000rpm, but it idles a little rough and at small throttle settings it's horrible. Starting from a dead stop requires excess gas and clutch slippage, and below three grand it has the sound of a v-twin.

3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ibast that was a great 1st post
Welcome!......and Miss Cat, your claws as sharp as ever:) Two of the pilot jets were almost completely clogged, and one other about half way!!

I was pretty damn careful putting this kit in not to muck it up, but those holes are so damn small dense air would almost clog them!! Back at it tomorrow, hope to see major improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.