Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bikes been a real pain lately, it has hydrolocked on me a few times and ive been lucky that i had access to tools nearby to remove the spark plugs and clear the petrol out ...

my fuel tap has recently been passing fuel, which it wasnt doing a few weeks ago.. i pulled it apart and found some rusty gunk stuck under the diaphragm, cleaned it out and i think thats fixed it...

i also pulled the carbs down and the floats are ok, as are the needles and seats...

measured the heights and they came in at about 19mm, but my service manual dosnt seem to have any figures for my bike??? its a aus 1990 750L, same as UK 90 model...

i noticed for every other model the float heights were 13-15mm, so what should i be aiming for?

and another thing, recently i adjusted the needles to compensate for the rich mixtures (dropped the needles down one notch) ... if i set the floats to about 15mm would i need to put the needles back? i was real happy with the way the bike was running too! just till it kept hydrolocking

thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
i would just suck it and see.changing the needleposition is a 30 min job,but you shouldnt notice much difference,your emulsion tubes are prob worn and make more of a differnce than your float levels in the mid range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
float heights and tuning now

ok finally got the carbs back together with the floats set to about 15mm ... also checked my pilot screws and they are on about 2 1/4 turns out.

ive noticed that it now seems to be stronger down low, really good at overtaking in top gear on the freeway, i guess it didnt have enough juice previously?

but it now lacks a bit in the midrange and top end, and runs pretty bad until the bikes well and truly warmed up. almost kinda feels like its leaning out in the mid-top revs?? but surely it cant be.

im really loving the low rev, low throttle response it has now, i always used to think my bike had hardly any torque and really needed to be revved to move! but i still need my top end.

i guess it must be running too rich in the mid to upper revs, and my needles are currently on the leanest notch. i guess im up for new emulsion tubes if i wanna keep my new found low end torque and have the old top end as well?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: float heights and tuning now

i experimented with needle height and that only made it worse.

i definately need new tubes, but dont have the spare ~AU$200 to replace them as yet...

so i took the floats up to 18mm and set the needles back on lowest, and also turned my pilot screws out a little (the revs would stay up too long when letting go of the throttle when it was only cracked open)

and its like a new bike again
this bandaid fix might last me a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.