Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a set of 36 mm mikuni flatslides for $300
i can get for my 86 750 would it be a enough to notice a dif from the stock carbs off a 87 i have on it now
this is what i have done to it:
86 gsxr 750 ,87 750 carbs stage 3 jet kit with k&n filters
ignition advancer v&h header with yosh can
otherwise stock

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any info would be great need to know by tomarrow after noon

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't know about a 750 but on the 1100's they make a big difference. So i quess i'm not really helping things. If you plan on modifing it later then i would say go for it, on a stock motor or close to stock they might not make a huge difference.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
As a general rule Flatslides are a 2mm improvement in flow. 36mm flatslides = 38mm CV's. The Flatslides will always have quicker throttle response than CV's. The only trouble with them is when closing the throttle the slides somtimes drag due to the vaccum action pulling the slides agianst the engine side of the housing. This is why Keihin FCR's added rollers to the slides. Mikuni's still are better than stock.
Bones

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I think flat slides suck,If your motors stock keep the stock carbs,it will run better,flat slide carbs are race carbs not really for the street,the tuning on them changes due to weather conditions,they make a lot of noise and are like a on/off switch when you hit the gas,and you will also need a push/pull throttle to go with them,and the pull will be very hard to open the throttle,tough on the wrist if you ride a lot,I had 2 sets never again..unless your just racing the bike..PS.not the kehins those are much better..

Just My 0.02

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by e-racer:
I think flat slides suck,If your motors stock keep the stock carbs,it will run better,flat slide carbs are race carbs not really for the street,the tuning on them changes due to weather conditions,they make a lot of noise and are like a on/off switch when you hit the gas,and you will also need a push/pull throttle to go with them,and the pull will be very hard to open the throttle,tough on the wrist if you ride a lot,I had 2 sets never again..unless your just racing the bike..PS.not the kehins those are much better..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
E-RACER is right about 1 thing you will need a push-pull throttle but the rest i think is his own opion i have a set of 40s and i would NEVER get anything else i would say get the flat slides you won't regret it
thats my 2 cents
JIMMY

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had RS-36 carbs on my Katana (with more compression, more displacement, and head work)for several months and I love 'em. They are a bit stiff and take some getting used to, though. Defintely use a push/pull throttle.
If you buy 'em and don't like 'em, I'll give ya' $300 for 'em.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 34MM Mikuni flatslides on my 86 750, and at wide open throttle you can't beat them. Round town they will wear on your wrists and chatter like hell at low RPM's and idle.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR1255JIMMY:
MR G thoes are nice
are you putting them on your bike
jimmy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yup

now for those that run these carbs, do you guys ever run vent lines on them?

I know I hve too much spare time to think of such things, but I already replaced the brake hose with this

and was wanting to have more cool hoses running about

maybe get a nice catch tank in place where the airbox used to be?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a 86 750 w/mikuni 36mm flatslides the motor is stock except exhaust & I love them! The power increase is VERY noticeable. It increased everywhere.
I don't have a push pull throttle (yet) and haven't had any problems.
They are a little noisy, (at idle) but so what! For the increase in performance they are well worth it.
Buy them! You won't regreat it

·
Registered
65 Posts
The flatsides are the way to go, and for those of you complaining about the stiff pull, unwind the return spring one revolution. It will make them pull much easier, but then the push/pull throttle is a must.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Lectrons are the only flatslide thats not very street worthy IMO. Mikunis and keihins work fine on the street, and once they are setup up work great. I have a motor that sucks down [email protected] lift and my slides don't stick (lectrons have no push pull throttle) I would run a push pull on the street though. Buy them if you plan on more mods.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I think Iam right on a few things,1 if his motors stock,little or no more power is gained from using flat slides,2 I was thinking about drive-ability,like how the bike runs every day,flat slides are known to foul a few sets of plugs,If you want seat of the pants feel,flat slides are good when you hit the gas,and if you don't mind all the clattering noise,and people thinking somethings wrong with your bike,your wrist hurting,fouling a few set of plugs,your good to go..this is just my opinion on a stock motor,if your motor has some work done to it then its time for some different carbs,I just sold a new set of mukuni 38 mm flat slides for $300 I wish I knew so many people were still using them...Good Luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by abadbusa:
The flatsides are the way to go, and for those of you complaining about the stiff pull, unwind the return spring one revolution. It will make them pull much easier, but then the push/pull throttle is a must.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damn! Why have I never thought of this!!!
Anyway my right lower arm is twice as large as my left now so it's too late

CV's are used to meet emission regulations,
flatslides are used to meet the demand for power!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
E-Racer,I have never fouled ANY plugs on my old 1216/1371 GSXR's and was running 40's exclusively.Sounds like they just weren't tuned right if your fouling plugs..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i got them, ended up paying 365 for them but got a set of new intakes and filters, not sure if im gonna use those filters or get some k&n

they where off a oil cooled 750 so sould be tuned pretty close and he only used them one summer he says

i think i got ok deal intakes are like 25 a peice at dealer last i checked mine dry rotted

thanks for all the info realy helped me
if i dont like them i can always get rid of them
her is a pic if it turns out never posted one b4

[ 01-17-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: pan'86 ]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also was wondering do i have to do anything else to bike to add these like differnt petcock or will stock work wasnt sure about the vaccume to open the petcock

1 - 20 of 28 Posts