Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all some of you may have seen me here already on the forums.

I am a new rider who completed the MSF course in February and have been riding my new GSX-R 600 ever since. (I've already been lectured about my mistake in choice of bikes).

Well since getting my bike and license I have become really addicted to riding and decided to look into doing a track day.

Local to me is a org called Lone Star Track Days. They have a beginner class that teaches you the basics of track. I emailed Steve McNamara who I guess is the chief instructor and organizer and he said he would be comfortable with me attending the beginner class in May at MSR in Cresson, TX.

So my question is do you think it is too soon for me? Will a beginner class have things in it I'm not ready for?

I've already arranged a deal to buy this small 250 this week that I plan to take to the track. Its a Honda CBR 250 here is the link: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4415188838.html

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
My opinion is....there will never be a better time for you to take it as you have not had a chance to learn a bunch of bad habits.
:stupid wiser words have not been spoken on the subject.

It's much harder to learn the right way after you have learned it wrong.
Have a blast!:punk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet thanks everyone getting really stoked.

Ordering track suit tonight :) Have a friend who has been riding 8 years who will be taking the class with me. He has never tracked a bike before either.

·
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper
17,898 Posts
Get ready to have the most fun you've ever had on a motorized machine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get ready to have the most fun you've ever had on a motorized machine.
Or at any other time in your life for that matter. Cresson is a fun track ... you'll have an amazing time and learn a BUNCH!!
I'm getting so pumped I cant sleep well. Ready for the track :punk

So I dont have a truck to haul a bike down to the track with and was just going to ride the damn thing there.
Is that a bad idea? The lonestar website says they dont recommend you do that but right now I dont know what other options I have.

·
Male Bunghole Expert
2,406 Posts
I wouldn't recommend riding to the track. If you happen to crash, then what? How is your buddy getting to the track? Do you have a hitch? UHaul has motorcycle trailers for only $18/day.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't recommend riding to the track. If you happen to crash, then what? How is your buddy getting to the track? Do you have a hitch? UHaul has motorcycle trailers for only $18/day.
Maybe Ill look into a UHaul. My buddy is truckless too and planned on riding as well.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
uhaul does rent pickups. Might be a cheaper option? Bad bad idea driving your bike to the track. Sure people do it all the time but it takes something as simple dropping your bike and breaking a lever and your screwed.

You'll love the track. Go at your own pace and have fun. Speed will come in time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What do they require for bike prep? It could be time consuming and require tools and materials you may not want to carry on your bike. Nothing that wouldn't fit in a backpack(wrenches, drivers, masking tape), but trailering is still more convenient. Then you're not rushing to prep your bike when you arrive.

Riding on the track is safer than the street. Have fun and soak up as much as you can. I wish I had gotten into track days earlier.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Rent a van instead on a truck if you can. Much easier to load with the floor close to the ground and you have everything enclosed. You even have somewhere to change in and out of gear if you want.

Riding there is a bad idea. You can't bring nearly as much stuff (tools, chairs, drinks and food, shade, etc.) and by the end of the day, the last thing you'll want is to ride a bike home on the freeway - not to mention the possibility of a crash or mechanical failure.

Vans in the E150-class cost like $20/day at U-Haul, totally worth it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Rent a van instead on a truck if you can. Much easier to load with the floor close to the ground and you have everything enclosed. You even have somewhere to change in and out of gear if you want.

Riding there is a bad idea. You can't bring nearly as much stuff (tools, chairs, drinks and food, shade, etc.) and by the end of the day, the last thing you'll want is to ride a bike home on the freeway - not to mention the possibility of a crash or mechanical failure.

Vans in the E150-class cost like $20/day at U-Haul, totally worth it.

Are there latches/hooks inside the vans you can use to strap down the bike? I plan on getting to my first track day this summer!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts