Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Im new to Motorcycles,
but i just bought (a month ago) an EX250. I totally enjoy it, but am quickly becoming aware of the lack of straight forward acceleration. i do not plan on getting a bigger bike till next year, though. So what im getting at, would it be a suitable jump in power to go from a ex250 to a gixxer? I know a gixxer is much faster, but i DO NOT want to get stuck somewhere in between.

Also, im about 6 ft 220 lbs. The ex250 is a little small, but nothing bad. I cant say im uncomfortable, but i look big on it
How are gixxer ergos for people my size, and are longer rides out of the question?

Also is a dumb idea to get a new bike? My next bike i want to be a bike that i will have for a long time, not just a couple of years, so i want to make sure it gets the proper care from day one. The initial loss in value is quite a hit though

I have wanted a gixxer since before i have wanted a bike(if that makes sense), but i value my life, and body more than the thrill, and style associated with a gixxer. Thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
You're really off for a good start
If you get really good on the 250, I wouldn't say jumping to a GSX-R600 would pose any problems.

About comfort, I'm about your size and my 600 would feel too small if I was much bigger (750s and 1000s too, same ergonomics). My SV is more comfortable for long rides, though.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Welcome to GDC... A big +1 to everything above. just do make sure you get plenty of time in on that 250... You'll probably discover before long that once you learn how to ride it a little better you'll be absolutely AMAZED at just how much acceleration it has... A huge part of speed is all in the rider... In fact, a HUGE part of riding in general is ALL in the rider!
The jump will be one that will take some getting used to, but assuming you've done well on the 250, you should be fine with a 600 or 750... Probably even a 1k as long as you respect it's throttle and brakes... As for me, I'm 6ft and 230... ergos are great. Your ass will hurt a bit after a LONG ride, but as long as you take brakes here and there every hour or so, you'll be fine. You may need to have the rear springs swapped out and the sag adjusted, but no biggie. You've got quite a bit more "upright" position on the EX... Riding a gix will probably kill ya first off.. Give your body time to adjust... Build up the abs and back muscles (those will be the muscles that actually support your body), then you'll ride it like you stole it..
One last thing speaking of building the muscle.. If you don't already, start working out. Build up... Riding is SO much easier when your in shape and strong.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Welcome to GDC!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welocme to the site.. Ride safe and every thing else will come with time..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Yes i should have gotten something bigger,and faster but i got my ex250 02 with 4000 miles on it for only 1860. I figured i would start with something cheap, to make sure that i was going to enjoy biking.

THanks for the warm welcome, and replies all! Much appreciated

Tons of great info here, definately one of the more comprehensive sport bike forums i have found.
ex250's have an ok one, i just cant stand the format.

I agree it does take the rider to make the bike fast, but i really dont see what else i could do to accelerate more quickly. Cornering is a different story, however. Unfortunately, though, i live in omaha, nebraska where the only twisties are in the from of the interstate on/off ramps. I need to make a trip somewhere further from where i live, just to practice turning.

Definately gunna start working out, i have also been taking like 20 mile bycicle rides. I definately have not had any prob controlling the ex, with the minamal muscle i have now, but its a good thing to know about more muscle for the gix though.

Thanks for the great info, and feed back! Still wondering about buying a new bike though

God bless yall

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Yeah, it can be a little intimidating with a new bike, especially if your gonna try stupid shit..
Best thing, when your ready for it, find a good cheap 600... Sell the EX and get some money back out of it... Then when your ready, get a nice shinny new gixxer of your choice and keep the 600 around as a stunter... By then, if you fuck it up, who cares, and you won't be doing stupid shit and toasting at minimum $1000 worth of plastic on a new bike...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I agree it does take the rider to make the bike fast, but i really dont see what else i could do to accelerate more quickly.
Ahh, acceleration isn't what makes you fast. Learning your bike inside and out and being smooth in every situation will make you quicker than most on a street bike. Practice your take-off in a straight line, shifting, working the clutch, finding your power band. But don't neglect your cornering and braking. A nice light forgiving bike like you have will make all of the above much easier to master. Learn to brake at the right time, with just the right amount of pressure. Lean over at just the right speed, and then accelerate as smoothly as possible. Getting them all just right will add up to smoking those squids on bigger bikes.

Have a blast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, im sure there is something i could do to improve my techniques, im just not sure of it right now. In other words i jus dunno. Acceleration wise i pretty much do the same thing i have been doing in a car for the last five years. Go WOT and hit the clutch while shifting up as fast as possible. ANything else i should be doing. BUt the smooth thing will come with time, and practice. It is nice having a forgiving bike. Also i do not plan on stunting, so the stunt bike is kinda of a moot point for me, but things may change. I basically got a bike, because i was planning on trading my car in for something faster, but it was gunna cost a lot of money. Bikes are by far best bang for buck. thx for suggestions

Practice your take-off in a straight line, shifting, working the clutch, finding your power band
Yeah i was thinking of practicng take-off today. meaning i will start practicing that. i am definately familiar with the powerband. If it aint above 8 grand not worth twisting your hand. I have never driven cars that had power down low, so im used to it being up high.

i like cornering, wish i had some round these parts.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
also, take your bike to the track would help you learn the corner, speed and how to control all your movement.

Even if it is your 250 on the track, people have 250 race bike so don't even worry about it being slow or whatnot. Your goal is to learn as much as possible and be great on it.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
If you're gonna be practicing your take-offs, you might as well give clutchless upshifting a shot. It goes into gear so quick that you'll wonder why that clutch is there. Just apply slight pressure to the shift lever, then quickly roll off the throttle and back on (I mean very quickly, just a flick of your wrist. You don't even have to back off all the way) you will be in the next gear without even feeling it shift (you will notice your foot move slightly as the shift lever raises the bike to the next gear). This technique helps you greatly in the corners too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds great! I know there used to be auto-x stuff round here for cars, dont know about bikes though. BUt in august im gunna be in texas(dallas area) for 3 months, so there must be something there. Yeah i have read about clutchless shifting, i was thinking of trying it too.

I noticed that when on the throttle i can try shifting up, and it will not go up, feels like im in top gear.
IF i roll off the throttle, quickly it may work though? is there a certain rpm range it will only wrok in, or can I do this while going WOT?

Once again thanks a lot for the ideas, and encouragement!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I noticed that when on the throttle i can try shifting up, and it will not go up, feels like im in top gear.
IF i roll off the throttle, quickly it may work though? is there a certain rpm range it will only wrok in, or can I do this while going WOT?
Think of it like this.. When you use the clutch, basically what your doing is "unloading" the transmission.... When it's unloaded, it can easily mesh the next set of gears in.... When your accelerating, the transmission is loaded.... As soon as you let off the throttle, it is unloaded... So yes, if you keep light pressure on the shifter, it will not shift, but as soon as you back off the throttle a tad, it will pop right up into the next gear... Just a flick of the wrist is all it takes.. No certain RPM range, etc....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some one told me once that clutchless shifting is hard on your bike.. I dont know I do it still but thats what I was told..

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Some one told me once that clutchless shifting is hard on your bike.. I dont know I do it still but thats what I was told..
Nah, not if your doing it right... It's technically "better" since your not chewing your clutch up as much.... If you use a lot of pressure on the shifter and "jam" it up in gear then it's hard on the gears... But as long as you just let it "fall" in as you back off the throttle, then it's not hard on it at all....

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Correct, not bad for your bike. Any RPM is possible, but the further the throttle is twisted, the further you need to back off to make it shift. It will take some getting used to to make it smooth when flicking the wrist really fast almost to the closed position then back again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts