Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,999 Posts
I see the link. Nice job man! Looks like a fun day out. :biggrin

In the future you may wanna grab a 600 to help learn the fundamentals of high speed track riding. I bet you'll be much faster once you get back on your 1000.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I used to have an R6 and took that out on track once. Then I had a Blackbird which I took on track about 4 times. I just recently sold my Blackbird and bought the k5. Need to get used to the brutal power! Brakes are a bit shit so I'm looking at doing a caliper upgrade and braided hoses.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
No, I used to have an R6 and took that out on track once. Then I had a Blackbird which I took on track about 4 times. I just recently sold my Blackbird and bought the k5. Need to get used to the brutal power! Brakes are a bit shit so I'm looking at doing a caliper upgrade and braided hoses.
Honestly stainless lines, RBF and some race pads which transform your braking. Calipers not so much and always remember with a decent set of race pads, it takes a couple corners before the heat gets in them and they start biting.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Having watched the video you definitelg don't need to be on a 1000.

Go back to the 600, or maybe a 250/300 to develop your skills further.

Learn the proper race line of the track first.

Then work on accelerating and corner exits.

Then work on braking and corner entry speeds.

In that order.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having watched the video you definitelg don't need to be on a 1000.

Go back to the 600, or maybe a 250/300 to develop your skills further.

Learn the proper race line of the track first.

Then work on accelerating and corner exits.

Then work on braking and corner entry speeds.

In that order.
What's wrong with my lines? The track is not the type to use all of the track due to camber changes and bumps so if you referring to middle of track entry to turn 5 I'm experimenting by watching how our regional riders are riding.

I appreciate your comments but please be critical, not offensive.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly stainless lines, RBF and some race pads which transform your braking. Calipers not so much and always remember with a decent set of race pads, it takes a couple corners before the heat gets in them and they start biting.
Thanks for your advise. New hoses are on the cards. I've done the pads (Ferodo XRAC) and bleeding (Motul 660) for now.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
What did I say that was offensive?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did I say that was offensive?
Maybe I misread but I understood you were implying a 250 or 300 is better suited for my skill set. Not sure if I mentioned but we also not allowed to overtake on inside and therefore lines have to be adjusted accordingly with slower riders sharing the track.

Seriously though, apologies if I misconstrued what you meant. Please do give me advise if you are able to.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This place confuses me. So many different personalities from around the globe. Guess I need to learn to take things with a pinch of salt here ;)

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
This place confuses me. So many different personalities from around the globe. Guess I need to learn to take things with a pinch of salt here ;)
Here is the deal. Trying to learn to go fast on a big bike teaches you little more than how not to highside yourself to the moon.

Learning on a little bike, like a 250/300, teaches you everything. How to brake super deep into the corner. How to carry crazy amounts of corner speed. How to make the most of your corner exits. All because you are trying to go as fast as possible on a bike that won't stick you in the ground like a golf tee if you get on the gas too hard.

Remember. Riding a slow bike fast is better than riding a fast bike slow.

·
Super Moderator
14,999 Posts
^ This

Pretty much what I was saying. Move down to a 600 or lower for the track to learn to go faster. You'll thank yourself later. Not saying sell the liter bike.

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
I agree with Anthony. Watching your video I see you have loads to improve on. You've got the bike and I'm sure you love it, the point is that a 1000 is less forgiving and more distracting to learn on. Don't get offended though brother you did great and had fun. If you are not looking to be fast and competitive than that is all that really matters. I think you may find this video very helpful. This is how to take the line at Killarney (hauling).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts