Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my names adam and I am new to the forums and very new to motorcycles. I am as mechanically inclined as a 12 year old girl admititly (excuse my spelling), so any off the wall, dumb questions I ask please try not to laugh to hard. I am excited to learn how to work on my bike instead of having to take it to a dealer everytime....to the point....i am going to be attempting to change my oil and filter today for the first time and have some questions. My first question is: In the first picture i have posted, is that black looking cylinder my oil filter? If so can i just take it off by hand or do i need a certain tool? I am going to be going to my local shop today to replace the filter with a k&m filter. Second question: Is draining the oil as easy as removing the valve and draining the oil, or are there any tips or tricks i should know? By the way my bike is an 04 gsxr 600. Thank you to anyone who can help. Ill be posting alot of here looking for help trying to work on my bike while i have all the fairings off.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, that is the oil filter and to get it off, you're going to need a oil filter wrench (or strap). You can get these at your dealer or really any autoparts store, however, I don't know the exact size so maybe someone else can chime in on that. I like the K&N oil filters because they have a 17mm nut on the end that allows for easy removal without any sort of special tool.

The oil change is easy - the biggest pain in the ass is getting the plastics removed. I use amsoil full synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil and there is a night and day difference between the castrol part synthetic that I was using before.

Anyway, here's a nice write-up with pictures that should help.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199094

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
A wrench like this fits almost any filter (there are cheaper ones around). It is not for tightening the filter - that should be done by hand, about 1.5 turns past the gasket contacting the engine. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999860000P?vName=Sears Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Mechanics Tools & Auto Supplies=&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IAx20090815x000001&aff=Y

It is very easy to over-tighten the drain plug!

You can probably do a complete oil change w/o removing any plastics, which is the hardest part of the job. Why do you want a K&N filter?

·
Registered
271 Posts
12 year old girl, huh? I learned to do oil changes when I was 17. :smackbottom:biggrin

Anyway, what these guys said. Make sure you warm the bike up so the oil drains better. Check your owner's manual to find out how much to put in. The amount varies a bit depending on whether or not you replace the filter. I'd replace the filter with every change. I could never understand putting clean oil in a bike and leaving on the old, dirty filter, but that's just me. Find out the torque spec so you don't overtighten the drain plug and the filter. When you remove the old filter, make sure the rubber gasket comes off with it. Two gaskets aren't better than one, don't ask me how I know! :eek:hmy Before you put on the new filter, run a bit of oil around the rubber gasket.
Also, it would be good to get the service manual for your bike if you're going to work on it.
Welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts