Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

First Sport Bike GSXR 750 ( and a photo)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SparkyMJ 
#1 ·
Hi all

Just thought id introduce myself before browsing through the forums.

Picked up an older 2006 750 and thought I would join up to the community. Hints and tips are always welcome, and I need to learn some servicing tips on the bike.

Other than that not new to being on two wheels so don't worry I'm not crazy enough to go from CBT to sportbike in a month :)

Phil
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#9 ·
Very nice. My 2004 750 had the similar color scheme for it when it was new apparently. I have since painted it myself. Looking good!

How many miles? Any running issues?

Bikes at this age definitely benefit from a good cleanout, and replacement of any rubber parts or safety items. My '04 got all new brake caliper seals, lines, master cylinder rebuild or upgrade, and a bunch of engine gaskets that it mainly needed. Same went for the main fuel line, and coolant hoses. It was just time, and I am glad I changed those parts out. If it was mine, I would solder the stator to the main harness so long as it already works. Never a bad idea, especially at this age.

Unless previous owner was meticulous, it's probably overdue for a lot of maintenance items. Fork oil change, suspension rebuild, suspension pivot cleaning and greasing, cleaning of fuel pickup mesh, injector/throttle body cleaning and sync, valve clearance adjustment, cable adjustments, spark plug change, all that jazz.

Nothing there is exactly specific to this bike, but stuff worth checking. I recently finished the bulk of the work on restoring my K4 750, and I ran through all that stuff I listed, and a hundred more things if you want inspiration!

Hope this helps. No such thing as being too careful about your maintenance.

-Mike

#11 ·
Very nice. My 2004 750 had the similar color scheme for it when it was new apparently. I have since painted it myself. Looking good!

How many miles? Any running issues?

Bikes at this age definitely benefit from a good cleanout, and replacement of any rubber parts or safety items. My '04 got all new brake caliper seals, lines, master cylinder rebuild or upgrade, and a bunch of engine gaskets that it mainly needed. Same went for the main fuel line, and coolant hoses. It was just time, and I am glad I changed those parts out. If it was mine, I would solder the stator to the main harness so long as it already works. Never a bad idea, especially at this age.

Unless previous owner was meticulous, it's probably overdue for a lot of maintenance items. Fork oil change, suspension rebuild, suspension pivot cleaning and greasing, cleaning of fuel pickup mesh, injector/throttle body cleaning and sync, valve clearance adjustment, cable adjustments, spark plug change, all that jazz.

Nothing there is exactly specific to this bike, but stuff worth checking. I recently finished the bulk of the work on restoring my K4 750, and I ran through all that stuff I listed, and a hundred more things if you want inspiration!

Hope this helps. No such thing as being too careful about your maintenance.

-Mike
Thanks Mike, more detail is always better.

I know the previous owner and he is a lorry mechanic, known him for many years so I know its not a sell off and hope the guy doesn't find you again. He just wanted a touring bike and didn't have space for 3 in the garage. But thats not to say hes had a look at the front forks and thought, meh it will last another few seasons.

I have found the service manuals on this site and will be checking what I can when I can, and I can always call the ex owner to show me something too. That and we will be riding together.

But its my bike and i need to walk on my own two feet so to speak. And its good to know there arent any, oh with this bike you have to look out for x y z specifically.

Thanks a lot again.

#13 ·
That's always nice when the seller is a local friend. My first bike I bought off an old roommate, and it was the best deal for similar reasons you mentioned. Although in my case, I was the more mechanically inclined person, so I helped him work on the bike since he had no idea how to fix anything. What better bike to buy than one I had already worked on.

Although that bike wasn't as old as my or your 750. Something I learned with the 750 was just what kind of things tend to wear out or go wrong on a bike that's not a couple years old, but a couple decades old.

Sounds like you're going to really enjoy the ride.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.