Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a new to me 2003 GSXR 1000, very clean , low mileage , one owner bike. My other bike at the moment is a 2014 KTM duke 690, with full exhaust/ fueling and geared. all things considered an absolute weapon under 100mph. I have had a few Big bikes, most recently being a 2012 triumph speed triple and an 04 Yamaha R1. I was very curious to see how the GSXR compared. Numbers may say different, but by rider feel the GSXR has the grunt of the Speed triple and the top end of the R1....which in my books makes it about perfect. I need to look into raising the bars an inch over the winter and then it would be dam perfect. Honestly never ridden anything that had so much low end and mid range punch but a monster up top too. I loved my R1 but it was very mellow below 7k rpm. Which for where I live you spend most of you time. Thank you Suzuki, its an incredible bike. I have a pic in my garage, for some reason I can't seem to post pics in the forum yet. Cheers all, thank you to everyone on this board that contributes and help make owning these bikes that much easier.:cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
It was a big deal to fans of the earlier R1s when the 2004 "underseat" model was released and it lacked the midrange of it's predecessors. Almost everyone who had ridden the prior gens was disappointed even though the 2004 had more top end. The low to mid range power of the pre-2004 models combined with their shorter wheelbase made for an intoxicating combination and is probably the reason you don't see many of those models left on the road today. They were a handful and there was nothing mellow about them below 7k on the tach. Your Gixxer still is better everywhere!:thumbup

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 03 K3 with over a 150k on it . I have a 17 R1M that lacks the same torque you’re talkin about. I love both bikes , but I will say the gixxer is a better street bike due to the stump pullin torque. The R1M will kill it top end wise , but by then you’re into triple digits. Great motor . Suzuki built some of its best bikes that era

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Jimmyboy
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing