Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a k5. have 2500 mi on it and had it 2 months. love it. however, ive had a few small issues. i didnt have any with my 04 gixxer 600. (i know that was a first release of new gen, but i didnt have a single weirdness or actual issue with it at all)

so do you guys think it's a safe policy to buy first release of new gen bikes? i was thinking about from now on getting 2nd release of new gen. am i just being paranoid?

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Honestly the factory did a good job overall. I presume they stay a few years ahead of releases to do R&D...

There seems to always be some small kinks to workout. So far I see only a few issues with the mirror design and some (not all) rough frame welds which may not be problems that Suzuki considered worth changing to do the job, as I'm sure they must have experienced the same during R&D.

I'm reading some are having clutch issues but I have yet to determine what the real issue is, it could be another bug. The engine and transmission is flawless as per Suzuki's master designers. In my opinion the looks of the bike is incredible, despite all the controversy. I can't get enough of how good it looks especially at certain angles. It's like I have a GP bike in my garage.

I'm happy to have purchased the first year and so far it's all good. Good enough to have a really good time with this work of art.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bikes these days only last two years, do you are either buying hte first issue of a new model or the last production of a soon to be outdated model. From what I have noticed the second year rarely changes usually only colours change. So what is the point of waiting?

·
Registered
941 Posts
DATED? your saying that my K4 is DATED? It amazes me at how arrogant some people are. You think that just because you have the latest and greatest that all others are beneath you..Stupid is as Stupid does I guess...

Usually the next years model has the Fixes that the 1st year new gen bike needs or does not have....this is why they have a RECALL when there is a defect i.e. 01 1K had issues with the clutch basket. The 02 came with the upgrade and the 01 (if the basket was busted) would get the new clutch basket upgrade. The ZX-10 had a real bad issue with the front wheel. stc....Problem is, people are out riding these things and have to find out the hard way about design flaws....

I was lucky when I got my K1 (Man this thing is so dated now, it should be in a museum huh purpdust). There was not alot of issues with it. I bought a used one from someone who had it for a while and already knew about the issues with it and had them fixed.

BTW, I still have my Dated K1 and my K4. Both are great bikes. They run, ride and handle better then I will ever be able to use. Guess thats why i'm not a GP racer......

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
DATED? your saying that my K4 is DATED?
The K4 only looks dated compared to other bikes.
Still stong thou, nothing wrong with the engine or the tranny,and is a wheelie monster.
Only thing I didn`t like about mine were the brakes and that ugly bracket behind the screen.

As for the first generation of the K5``s having possible clutch problems..............
This forum is littered with instances of K4`s burning clutches out as well.
If they are adjusted properly, its not an issue.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything that is a first year release that is a clean slate design. But that's just me. There are always a bunch of changes made, and I'd rather wait untill it can be tested by the thousands that will buy it and fug around with it for a year or two.

NOt saying that it can't be right the first time, but I'd just rather wait a bit in my opinion.

The 03 wasn't a clean design, more like an update to the 01-02, so I'd buy an 03 quicker in 03 than I would the K5 in 05.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.