Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've had my K6 for about two years now. I've done some minor work/maintenance on it, but nothing too complicated. I've been thinking about getting an older project bike to tear down and rebuild. I have experience with Mercury outboard motors and Cummins diesel engines, so I have a decent mechanical background. The schools I went through for those involved a rebuild for each engine, but I'm still somewhat of a newbie when it comes to working on bikes. I'm looking around for a bike to throw in the garage and get started.

I just wanted to reach out for advice before I make a mistake or start learning lessons the hard way. I plan on breaking the bike down and doing an engine rebuild, then customizing it as I put it back together. I won't be in a hurry since my '06 1000 is still in good shape. I realize this will be difficult and I'll have a lot to learn, but that's the point. Between the service manual, the forum, and Youtube, I figure I should be able to handle it. I also have a shop that would give advice as needed. Should I find a decent older bike and follow the service manual for my first rebuild? If I'm willing put $4,000-$5,000 into it (not including the cost of the bike), could I come out with a decent street bike? I'm not worried about making in track ready, I just want to be able to put together a good street bike that runs well and looks nice.

I haven't decided on a particular bike. Any and all advice would be much appreciated! I don't post on here much, it wouldn't let me post in the "General Bike Talk" thread, so I came here. Thanks!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,715 Posts
There was an insightful thread here about overhauling a bike. He had lots, maybe hundreds, of pics illustrating his efforts that are now blocked by photobucket. I'd like to see someone contact him with regard to moving the pics to somewhere where they're visible. With all that work, I don't recall that any was done deep inside the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts