Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
There are lots and lots of opinions as well as lots and lots of fanboys. Turns out most major brands make good products.

What I think you should do is to go to a gun shop and "try some on". See how they fit your hands. To make a gun the best for you it has you fit your hand so that it points naturally as an extension of your arm. If it doesn't fit your hand so that you have to twist your wrist to the side or up or down to line the sights up you are not going to hit well - especially not in a stressed situation. The controls need to feel natural to you too.

This means that you guys may be better off getting two guns since you probably have different sized hands.

So anyway - go try some on, see which fit you, then report back before buying :)

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Also, FWIW - if you are only going to use it for home defense and not concealed carry consider going for a full size instead of compact.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are lots and lots of opinions as well as lots and lots of fanboys. Turns out most major brands make good products.

What I think you should do is to go to a gun shop and "try some on". See how they fit your hands. To make a gun the best for you it has you fit your hand so that it points naturally as an extension of your arm. If it doesn't fit your hand so that you have to twist your wrist to the side or up or down to line the sights up you are not going to hit well - especially not in a stressed situation. The controls need to feel natural to you too.

This means that you guys may be better off getting two guns since you probably have different sized hands.

So anyway, go try some on, see which fit you, then report back before buying :)
ive fired glock, sig, and h&k, i dont recall specifially which models, other than they were all .40. from what i remember i did like the h&k and glock.

I guess what im asking is, what are the current models, decently priced $500 +-, so i know what to ask to pick when i test drive them. :cheers

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
To compare it to bikes - a helmet might be the best goddamn helmet on the market with the most race R&D, the best reviews, best safety ratings and beautiful craftsmanship - but if the shape doesn't fit your head and one size ends up giving you a headache and the next size up slides around on your head it's not the best helmet for you :)

·
31,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, FWIW - if you are only going to use it for home defense and not concealed carry consider going for a full size instead of compact.

you mean legal CC? i live in CA remember :lol .. isnt the argument, full size are going to be more accurate, easier to shoot etc, due to weight and barrel length?

i know people who are responsible gun owners, who carry without permits. rather caught with, than dead without is what they say. Would i ever try my luck on carrying, probably not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several Glocks, and I don't like shooting anything else now that I have shot them...try the Glock 27 gen 4 - it has changeable back straps on the grip so you can adjust to the size of your hand. Plus, there are magazines with an extra finger grip at the end of them if they feel too short.

·
31,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LA gun club claims to have the most pistols available for rent. anywhere from 5-10 bucks per gun that you rent.
sweet.. looks like i might stop by on my way back from el segundo :shifty

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
ive fired glock, sig, and h&k, i dont recall specifially which models, other than they were all .40. from what i remember i did like the h&k and glock.

I guess what im asking is, what are the current models, decently priced $500 +-, so i know what to ask to pick when i test drive them. :cheers
Best bang for the buck in my opinion are the CZs. Top notch quality at a lower price and they are precise as hell. They are "only" 9mm but that will get a bad guy dead too with proper ammo. Plus their full sized guns have 18 round mags.

The Phantom is the polymer frame version:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01-phantom/

If you want a compact, there's the P07 - which also comes in .40:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
you mean legal CC? i live in CA remember :lol .. isnt the argument, full size are going to be more accurate, easier to shoot etc, due to weight and barrel length?

i know people who are responsible gun owners, who carry without permits. rather caught with, than dead without is what they say. Would i ever try my luck on carrying, probably not.
Full sizes will always be more precise and easier to shoot, especially for follow-up shots since the recoil is less - higher, more forward weight and a longer line of sight.

Compacts are always compromises because of the need for concealment.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
I don't know how your wife is on tech and even interest in actually learning to shoot - but often for people that aren't "into" shooting, a revolve may be a better self defense choice. Yes, you have a lower ammo capacity but it's the easiest thing in the world to operate and it won't jam. Just point and pull the trigger, no safety to remember. If you get a misfire, just pull the trigger again.

·
31,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know how your wife is on tech and even interest in actually learning to shoot - but often for people that aren't "into" shooting, a revolve may be a better self defense choice. Yes, you have a lower ammo capacity but it's the easiest thing in the world to operate and it won't jam. Just point and pull the trigger, no safety to remember. If you get a misfire, just pull the trigger again.
thanks for that, a revolver may be the 2nd purchase, to keep stashed somewhere in the house.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
What my ^ viking tentmate said. Revolvers are much easier, simpler for new shooters. You could buy a used one for a year or two to play with & learn gun handling. Many times it will be hard for the 2 of you to find a gun that feels comfortable for both of you due to hand size differences. For sure go shoot some, a few will just always not feel right & not work well for you, no matter how good the gun may be.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts