Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally got things squared away with being able to pass tech. Got the kill switch and the jacket and got my first track night under my belt. I recorded it all for the main purpose to see how i did and what i need to correct and work on. For my first 3 runs it seems i have 1000000 things to fix. Reaction time, 60', getting the clutch out faster etc. My goals for 2009 where to make my first official pass. Now my goals for 2010 is to hit a 10.50.

The rider.
I weigh 275lbs unsuited at 6'1". Yes i know im a big guy but this is a hobby sport for me not a professional. Scorpion Exo 400 lid, A* SMX boots/jacket/gloves. Im guessing im close to 300 suited??

The setup.
2004 GSX-R 750
24k miles
K&N filter
Custom shorty Micron.
The rest is stock.

Now on to my runs. These where the time slips for all 3 passes.

1st pass
R/T .808
60' 2.365
330' 5.473
1/8 7.892 101.62 MPH
1000' 9.980
1/4 11.762 125.30 MPH

Run #2
R/T .743
60' 2.225
330' 5.257
1/8 7.673 101.64 MPH
1000' 9.763
1/4 11.550 125.20 MPH

Run #3
R/T .339
60' 2.226
330' 5.316
1/8 7.722 102.00 MPH
1000' 9.804
1/4 11.581 125.88 MPH

I am trying to work on getting my launching and reaction times down before i do any more mods. Then once i cant get any faster SWB and height ill drop, strap, gears etc etc.

So heres the vids from the other night. Im all ears for critiquing. Im new so ill take the advice of you vets before i listen to joe shmoe off the street who thinks he knows it all.

:cheers

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah after listening to it like 1million times i can hear myself dragging the clutch all the way through 1st like i have some fast low stretched wheelie machine lol.

and on pass #1 i have no idea what happened with the clutch. felt like it slipped, chattered and grabbed all at the same time. weird.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Damn I cant wait to get back on the track so I can practice...This vid makes hungry. practice practice practice

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Good job for your first time at the track. after you get use to some things may want to try to keep both feet on the ground when you leave. Take small steps. way to meet your goal for 09. On to the next

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i'll watch the vids when i get home, can't watch them at work. i will say this, don't worry about reaction time until you actually learn how to get the bike out the hole like you're supposed to. trust me, the more relaxed you are and the less you have on your mind before you actually launch the bike makes a difference. focus on your 60ft first, then on hitting your shift points consistently. don't be afraid to ask guys at the track for tips either, there's a wealth of info there as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
good job for your first pass bro...damn that makes me miss the track

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah seat time and im sure all the times will get better. and it would be nice to ask the guys at the track........ only problem being theres never any other bikes there. it seems once they reopened the track after the rebuild the bikes stopped showing up. but i think i should be going back up next wed after i get back from daytona. this time ill be there when the gates open to try and get as many runs in as i can. i only got 3 that night due to all the oil downs and track clean ups.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i already said that. i know i messed up. didnt realize how bad till i got home and reviewed the tape. ill be working on it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i already said that. i know i messed up. didnt realize how bad till i got home and reviewed the tape. ill be working on it.
more trips to the drag strip is the answer for getting faster, and watching video is very helpful for improvement, really you dont look bad at all for the first time out,

wee

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
true. the first pass pisses me off though lol. im still not sure what happened. i never bunny hop like that. i think it was just nerves. too much gas and no clutch control lol.

im bringing the family next wed so ill have more seat time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
try leaving with both feet down, and don't pick them up until you're done slipping the clutch. trust me, with the bike being stock geared you'll have forever to pick your feet up in time to shift to 2nd. also, you need to stage a little higher than "idle", lol. that's why you're bogging out the hole. when you get to the pre-stage light ease out the clutch until you feel the bike creep forward a little then pull the lever back in a hair. stage a little low, like around 4500rpm. ease out the clutch and let the bike creep into the stage light and pull the lever back in a hair again. wait for the lights and let her rip!

·
Registered
144 Posts
grats Hans!

I thought PBIR made us wear leather pants... Ive been putting off going so i can buy some pants... Ya just made me a happy man.. What else is necessary other than helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots.

Ive heard i have to setup the kill switch.. Is this something i need to rig up or something i need to buy.. Links, pics?

How much does launch destroy the clutch... I have 3k on the bike and ive never launched it before.... Ive tried once on the street from about 5000-5500 and the clutch made a grunt sound, didnt sound like it liked to be slipped very much...

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey bro good job i got s 02 750 i just came from the tracks first time ever only had 1 pass ive got a slipon only well i hit 11.9 122mph bog real hard in the start had a 2.4 60ft lol will be back next month for mre seat time good job bro

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
grats Hans!

I thought PBIR made us wear leather pants... Ive been putting off going so i can buy some pants... Ya just made me a happy man.. What else is necessary other than helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots.

Ive heard i have to setup the kill switch.. Is this something i need to rig up or something i need to buy.. Links, pics?

How much does launch destroy the clutch... I have 3k on the bike and ive never launched it before.... Ive tried once on the street from about 5000-5500 and the clutch made a grunt sound, didnt sound like it liked to be slipped very much...

Cheers!
you have to go by NHRA rules. but they lack so hard at tech in there its rediculous. you just have to have a kill switch. i put a PMR Components switch on my bike. I had a Snell approved lid, A* gloves jacket and boots, and i just wore some black jeans. once you start trapping 120+ your supposed to have either a one peice leather suit or a 2 peice that zips at the waist. pm me next time you plan on going out there. i should be there next wed. this week has been waaay to cold for me to even think about the track. i dont think its too safe to run down it when its 35-40* out. just my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts