Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only concern is tightening up the oil pan screw. I do not have a torque wrench. I know if I strip it, I'm screwed (no pun intended)

Is this something that I can tighten by feel? I am sure it can be done easily, but I am looking for a little advice to make this a bit easier.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's not that big of a deal...just do it by feel. Make it "snug". Run the engine, check for leaks...done.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My advise to you would be to make two marks, one on the drain plug and on one the oilpan(make sure the mark's line up). Then count revolutions as you loosen the drain plug. When it comes time to tighten it back, just tighten it the same number of revolutions and get the marks to line up.

However, I recommend getting a torque above this method any day of the year. The above method is subject to a lot of variables(crush washer thickness, oil pan temp, etc). Just giving you a heads up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a torque wrench so I always use it, but just use a short spanner or socket handle so that you're less likely to over do it.

Is everyone replacing the washer each time?
I do but probably not necessary.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I am familiar with what a torque wrench does, but have never used one myself.

Are all torque wrenches the same? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
click-style torque wrenches are the best buy... get one with 3/8 drive so you can use it for most applications... i like to get them with as long of a handle as possible for the times when you need to apply alot of leverage.

1 piece of advice for when you get a torque wrench, dont use it to loosen... it will last longer if you dont. i have a snap-on torque wrench that i cut the switch off of, so that no one could use it to loosen bolts.

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
click-style torque wrenches are the best buy... get one with 3/8 drive so you can use it for most applications... i like to get them with as long of a handle as possible for the times when you need to apply alot of leverage.

1 piece of advice for when you get a torque wrench, dont use it to loosen... it will last longer if you dont. i have a snap-on torque wrench that i cut the switch off of, so that no one could use it to loosen bolts.
and don't forget to set the dial back to "0" when you are done with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts