Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
good job!
knowing that everything is within specs is confidence and confidence means fast.
I did not go through the entire thread but it seems to me that you were on the gas/accelerating but holding your line at the same time so you were not taking away any lean angle.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
good job!
knowing that everything is within specs is confidence and confidence means fast.
I did not go through the entire thread but it seems to me that you were on the gas/accelerating but holding your line at the same time so you were not taking away any lean angle.
Just pushing hard in the afternoon. Off the race line and asked a little too much for the rear.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
This thread was great to catch up on! Glad to see you decided to get back out on the track, it certainly starts to get expensive. That's why I decided I'd street my 600 again and pick up a 250/300 for the track. I love that color you picked too, I wouldn't even bother putting graphics on. I'd probably take that stripe off the wheel, I was on the fence about whether I'd keep it or not. Sounds like you're pretty close! When do you plan putting the wheels down again?

·
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
May 26th looks like my first opportunity. Was hoping to make opening day at NCM as a "redeemer", but we're taking a cruise for my wife's 40th. We get back at 1am on Wednesday, and I'd have to leave around noon on Friday to drive down. After taking Th-F-M-Tu off work, and maybe Wednesday, a half day on Friday is a stretch. I'd do it, but that means my wife would have to take it too... and taking our son out of school early on Friday. All of that so I can go spend money doesn't make a happy home.... so May 29th at my local track looks like the winner.

The white stripe on the rear used to match the front. I'm thinking about red strips. Black wheels and tires just needs something to break it up. I like the pinstripes..... but yeah, not white.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just pushing hard in the afternoon. Off the race line and asked a little too much for the rear.
Yes, glad you mentioned that you were off line, that is the first thing I noticed was well as heavy with the throttle hand. Of course the biggest mistake was to chop the throttle when the rear started to let go. What are some things you could do to prevent the rear from sliding in the first place (now that you know not to chop the gas :wink2::grin2:).

And I'm glad you are ok from the crash and almost fully recovered, who knew that a dislocated joint like that would take so long to heal.....

·
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was off the line, but in reality, the actual trackday line is pretty far off the race line. Most of the folks were 6 feet or so off the curbing. Still no excuse though. I really don't think I chopped the throttle. When she hooked back up and whipped back the front was plowing. That sent me up and over. The reason I don't think I chopped the throttle is because I don't think I had time to think about it. It was on top of the tank and windscreen before I knew what was going on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good to hear all's getting better, I have my little finger of right hand slightly bent and it will never be straight but it's not a problem when one holds the grip :) 98% sounds fine!
If it hurts when You move it don't move then ;) I usually use some ibuprofen gel in places that ache me from time to time, like when bad weather etc. if You want to try it or sth. similar - You don't take tablets but apply it where it aches which I find way better...

·
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
IMU? TC would have certainly helped. You can see the speed jump 10mph almost instantly. TC would have probably given me a good bobble and I wouldn't have crashed.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
IMU- Inertia measurement unit.

Aftermarket TC that just measures RPM jumps may not have done a damned thing. All they do is cut power when the RPM jumps high in a short time. So a rear wheel spinning faster than the bike is travelling and losing traction suddenly loses power and gains traction... you're now going for a ride. Back in 2013 I highsided BECAUSE of my aftermarket TC. That exact scenario happened. Instead of spinning out into the grass, I ended up wearing the bike as a hat, sliding at least a hundred feet with that bike on top of me and 30 racers coming around the turn and seeing this shit, then a ride in an ambulance.

It was either that, or gravel. Either way, I had to lay'er down... :lol

·
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's always gravel. The wheel speed TC units are very effective, but have to be setup correctly. If they're not, they're basically chopping the throttle for you.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Yep, I've done that, late in the day, T3 Eastern Creek, done that corner hundreds of times.
I learnt the faster I got the closer to the meat of the torque curve I got, the more the throttle becomes a hair trigger. Was on Dunlop slicks with zero feed back and I took off.
Like you I rebuilt the bike, I bought the forks off a guy here and he sent them to Aust for me. Got it back to pristine condition but for the money I spent I should have just bought a new bike.
I lost 6 seconds a lap, it was almost Like I needed 2 hands to roll the throttle on, I'm too old and self preservation set in.
Well done on the rebuild good luck on the 29th :cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was off the line, but in reality, the actual trackday line is pretty far off the race line. Most of the folks were 6 feet or so off the curbing. Still no excuse though. I really don't think I chopped the throttle. When she hooked back up and whipped back the front was plowing. That sent me up and over. The reason I don't think I chopped the throttle is because I don't think I had time to think about it. It was on top of the tank and windscreen before I knew what was going on.
Not really sure why a Trackday line would be so much different from a race line. I mean, what makes a good line? What are the goals of choosing a good line and why?

The thing about high sides is that you never tell your hand to chop the gas, it just does it instantly as a survival reaction. In order to NOT chop the gas when the rear slides you need to practice and train that survival reaction out of yourself so that you can consciously choose to to hold the gas steady or roll off just slightly. I remember the first time I was able to prevent a high side by knowing exactly what to do and having had practice doing it. Anyway, stay safe out there!

·
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Most trackday riders (who aren't competitive racers) seem to be a little conservative with the lines. I'm not sure if it's psychological, lack of experience, or just giving themselves a little room. I try to hit good apexes, but I always walk up to it and not back from it (so to speak).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
TheGeek
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing