Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Albeit a baby highside... Session 7 of ADV, second lap. Coming out of a left hander, the rear spun and I probably chopped the throttle. She spit me up and over the front at 65mph. My hand right hand got caught somewhere and it drug me for a spit second before letting me go. That's when I started tumbling. I'm a little beat up all over, but my head is fine and no broken bones. My middle finger was dislocated pretty bad, and I put it back into place while the medics checked me out. Hurts like a mofo! Both fingers on either side of it are bruised badly too. The bike went on and speared the tire wall. The front end is really tweaked and there's a lot of collateral damage (body, fairing stay, gauges, etc.). This probably ended my track season for this year. I've got to fix the bike and get a new lid. Plus my leathers are pretty fucked up and need repaired or replaced. The vid is a full lap, then up to the crash. Was doing pretty well overall that day. At the end, watch the slow-mo. You'll see how my hand got jacked.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hear about the off. Here's to a speedy recovery. How long have you been riding? Track riding? Looks like you were moving pretty well. I'm still new to both riding and hitting the track but can't wait till I can ride that well. Are you gonna do a build thread in the repairs?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good to hear you're OK, no broken bones is always good especially after an off. I wish you a speedy recovery!

I can tell you from first hand keep eating the greens and high fibre food with those pain killers.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Why do you think it let go ...didn't see anything obvious, Glad u OK.
OP said: Coming out of a left hander, the rear spun and I probably chopped the throttle.

Classic no-no I'm afraid and so easy to do as well, closing the throttle moves the weight forward and causes the front to grip more.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do you think it let go ...didn't see anything obvious, Glad u OK.
Watch the end of the video again. The speedo jumps 10mph instantly.

OP said: Coming out of a left hander, the rear spun and I probably chopped the throttle.

Classic no-no I'm afraid and so easy to do as well, closing the throttle moves the weight forward and causes the front to grip more.
But the first time it happens to you, it's over before you can think about it. The front never lost grip. When the rear regained traction, it stood up so hard and so fast it just threw me up in the air. It's a very helpless feeling.

·
2 > 4
371 Posts
Next time you'll think twice before spray-waxing your bike and getting overspray on your bald tires when riding on a cold track with oil and gravel spills! :giggle

Glad you're ok! Use this down time to the fullest and heal up quick dude. You'll be back before you know it.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next time you'll think twice before spray-waxing your bike and getting overspray on your bald tires when riding on a cold track with oil and gravel spills! :giggle

Glad you're ok! Use this down time to the fullest and heal up quick dude. You'll be back before you know it.
Money is going to dictate that. Lower triple is twisted. The fork seems fine otherwise. Both brake rotors are bent, the front wheel is out of true, and the upper fairing and everything that was attached to it is trashed. Plus helmet, plus leather repair or replacement..... my season is probably over.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Ouch.

A little tip- If your back/ribs hurt when laying down, put a pillow under one side when you lay on the mattress. Good luck with recovery.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't believe I forgot to post this pic. This was what my hand looked like 2 days after. And, no, it's not dirty at all......

Everyone I talk to says I should have gone to the doctor, and while that isn't bad advice, I still don't think it was necessary. In fact, I bumped into an orthopedic doc last night at the brewery I frequent. He just happened to overhear the bartender ask me how my hand was doing. Struck up a conversation and I showed him this pic and told him I did my own reduction. After scolding me about not seeing a doctor, he took my hand and started feeling the joint and having me do some tests. He said he thinks my diagnosis was correct, but wouldn't give his medical opinion without seeing an MRI. I think it was his way of avoiding "practicing", but he did say everything seemed good. He said I should regain full movement in 6-8 months, and then be pain free in another 6 after that. The muted feeling at the tip of my finger is most likey bruising/stretching on the nerve which will take the longest to heal. He gave me his card and said if I can't make a fist at the end of the summer to give him a call. I had no idea the typical recovery time for a PIP joint dislocation is 12-18 months! Guess I have plenty of time to fix the bike.....

Attachments

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got the bike out to Velocity Calibrations. The neck is -2.8 degrees, the entire neck has been pushed back about 13mm, and it's got 0.4 degrees of camber. They're going to try and straighten it, but there's only a slight chance they'll be able to. More than likely, it's going to tear the extrusion or bust a weld. I've got some hard decisions to make. Look for another frame, part it out and start over, or just hang it up all together. I really enjoy time on the track, but the expense of getting back out there may be a deal breaker. I'll know in 3 weeks if it can be salvaged.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, here I am 364 days from the crash. My hand still isn't perfect. My range of motion in those three finger is probably 98% of what it used to be and although I wouldn't call it pain, there is still some discomfort at the limits of that range of motion. Leathers got repaired by Barnacle Bill, and I got a deal on a Shoei X14.

The frame ended up being too far gone and needed replacement. I found a salvage frame on ebay that had a 30 day return policy for $300. I bought it and shipped it to Velocity Calibrations. It was in factory spec, and almost perfect. I also found a complete front end. Fork, clamps, clip-ons, wheel, etc. It was pretty rough. The front wheel was straight and round, but the rotors were below service limit. The fork was good, but the seals are shot. I still have those fork legs as spares. The clip-ons were junk, and the brake calipers are good (don't need them). I had the wheel blasted and coated black, and bought new bearings, seals, and rotors. I also put in a crash kit in my brembo, and added a folding lever so this entrapment can't happen again.

I had to buy a couple tools to do it right, but the frame swap was pretty easy. It took just a few hours. (old frame is the near one)
FB_IMG_1552749421273.jpg

At the end of that day, I had a bike that was mechanically ready. Now I had to start working on getting it dressed. Ordered a new upper fairing. Took 3 months to get delivered (the risk of old bikes). I also bought a used gauge cluster and swapped the housing and LCD panel over to mine. That was a tedious job, but the result is good. I still had all the factory body, and since this bike is never going back to the street now, I listed it all on ebay. I kept the "carbon" front fender, windscreen, and air tubes and I'm using them in the rebuild. The race lower was cracked, so I decided to fill all the holes for the dzus fasteners and move them. Patched it up and all was good there. I thought about painting just the upper to match, but never was really happy with my original rattle can paintjob. It didn't hold up well, and was starting to yellow a bit. So I ordered new stomp grip, seat pad, and a harbor freight sander. I did all the labor, but I have a friend who owns a body shop. He primed it, returned it, I blocked it, and then he sprayed it. All I had to pay for was the painter's labor and materials. Still wasn't cheap, but this paint is much harder than any finish I could put on in the garage.
IMG_20190418_181325.jpg
So now, I just need to swap in that carbon fender, and take the stripe off the rear wheel (or add one to the front). Need to change the brake fluid, and check all the safety wire. During the swap, I found the front sprocket was loose. It rocks a bit on the axis, so I'm hoping it's worn and not the shaft. I need to pull that back apart and locktite the nut. I also need to apply the seat and stomp panels. But, she's ready and so am I!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
TheGeek
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing