Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, I was first introduced to bikes last summer. A guy I was dating had a 04 gsxr 600 and I fell in love--with the bike ;) haha...Since the weather has been getting better I've been seeing more bikes out there and I'd love to get one of my own. I was thinking I should start out with a 500 but, I don't even know where to start...Just hoping to get some advice on what I should look for in a bike, how much I should be looking to spend on it and a helmet, jacket, all that? Thanks!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Suzuki SV650

Possibly 2 of the best starter bikes out there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you riden anything ever? I started my street bike career with a 600 and have had no problems. But, I've also riden other bikes in the past before I bought my own.

My friend bought a ninja 650 for a starter bike and 6 months later he was wishing he had just bought the bike he wanted to begin with. Now he has to spend more money and take a loss on a bike noone wants (around my area at least).

It is all a matter of opinion but any bike can be learned on. Every bike handles different etc. so you have to relearn when you switch. My point is: buy what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1st
Check insurance first. That may dictate what you want to buy.
2nd
You can find deals on gear everywhere. Being new to riding (riding period) I would look into full gear. I've spent about 700 dollars so far on gear. Still don't have pants and I want to buy a better helmet. Don't skimp on protection.
3rd
A low mileage, newer bike will range from 4-7k depending. You could probably get a nice 04 600 for around 4k maybe less. Don't rush and offer lower than asking price. (plenty of fish in the sea)

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i started on an 05 sv 650 that i picked up almost new for a little over 3k
i rode it for an entire year and put over 12k miles on it. Its a great beginner bike because its very forgiving while still offering pretty damn good performance especially through some canyons or twisties. I sold it the next summer for exactly what i paid for it. Def a good choice if you dont want to go out and buy a replica racer 600 that might be too much for your experience level

·
It burns down where I sit
5,766 Posts
Hands down, You need a 250! Keep it and teach your friends to ride so there is always someone to ride with. Move up only when or if you feel you need to. A heavy ass 600 is stupid to try and learn on. And no you won't get bored on a 250!

Attachments

·
Banned
839 Posts
I started on a ninja 600 - 600 sport bikes are small enough for beginners yet enough power to keep you satisfied for years, dont go above 600 and you'll be fine. the 250 and 500's that are suggested are excellent bikes as well. suzuki makes a gsx500f that you might want to look into.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hands down, You need a 250! Keep it and teach your friends to ride so there is always someone to ride with. Move up only when or if you feel you need to. A heavy ass 600 is stupid to try and learn on. And no you won't get bored on a 250!

Wow strong bad advice there!

You don't NEED a 250. It's designed as a starter bike but if you can't find a price on a good used one then don't even consider buying it (unless money is no object).

My advice is to buy a USED bike from 250 - 600cc. Why used? Because you're going to drop it eventually. If it doesn't have frame sliders on it then try to get some for it.

The GS500 and EX500 are also great starter bikes.

My ex GF started on the back with me then got an ex500 for herself and 4 months later traded it in for an R6 and still rides an R6 today ... only now she races on the track! She's just little too. Like 5'5 and 110lbs

So get what you want and only use as much HP as you need. Remember the HP is proportional to the RPM so the less RPM you use the less HP you use :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Buy a used 250cc. Insane power for someone who has never ridden before. Ride that until you can ride it competently and then move up to a 500cc. After that you can ride anything.
These cc recommendations are for standard, ordinary bikes not race replicas. Don't get a bike that is more than 3 times your body weight minus 20% for a female.

·
5,766 Posts

You don't NEED a 250. It's designed as a starter bike but if you can't find a price on a good used one then don't even consider buying it (unless money is no object).

My advice is to buy a USED bike from 250 - 600cc. Why used? Because you're going to drop it eventually. If it doesn't have frame sliders on it then try to get some for it.

My ex GF started on the back with me then got an ex500 for herself and 4 months later traded it in for an R6 and still rides an R6 today ... only now she races on the track! She's just little too. Like 5'5 and 110lbs

So get what you want and only use as much HP as you need. Remember the HP is proportional to the RPM so the less RPM you use the less HP you use :)

WOW, Great your girl is a phenom and rides great and all but we are talking to a Girl who has not and does not even ride!

And for your ex500 advise... well Keep in mind we are talking about a HUGE weight difference. 437 wet vs 355 for the 250. Not to mention the feel of this top heavy weight at a stand still. :wacko

I would go with the MUCH better looking newer 250 if I were starting out.

99% of the people you run across will not know one difference between a new 250 and new 600. Your street cred. will not even be in play, but hey if you like 1970's style then ya sure there are tons of bikes to get. :lmao

P.S. Everyone knows everything on the interwebs. :dissapointed

·
Registered
489 Posts

sucks that she's your ex now :( Shoulda held onto that one!

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
Don't look at cc's.... look at what type of cc's they are and in what bike?

An SV650 is infinitely better for beginners than a GSX-R600, with 50 more cc's.
You could have a 2200cc Harley with acceleration comparable to a lawn motor.

One of the fastest guys I know rides an OLD ninja 250.... and constantly schools us in the mountains.

I suggest a YZF600, SV650, FZ6, Ninja 650, EX500, GSX500.....

·
5,766 Posts
Don't look at cc's.... look at what type of cc's they are and in what bike?

An SV650 is infinitely better for beginners than a GSX-R600, with 50 more cc's.
You could have a 2200cc Harley with acceleration comparable to a lawn motor.

One of the fastest guys I know rides an OLD ninja 250.... and constantly schools us in the mountains.

I suggest a YZF600, SV650, FZ6, Ninja 650, EX500, GSX500.....
On second thought I do agree that the SV-650 is a great bike to learn on.

It revs slow in comparison to a inline 600 (which you should not even be considering) But the looks of the SV are not what I would call sexy.

The new 250 is in my opinion a very sexy and modern looking bike.

Money wise you could probably find a SV and a newer 250 for pretty comparible money. I would think that finding a 250 with lower miles and newer would probably be a little easier but deals are out there. If you must get a brand new bike to finance it at least look at the 250 if your in the market. Then Move to Nashville, Move in with me and let me ride it when your tired of it. You can play with the 1000 when your ready. :cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts
Buy a used 250cc. Insane power for someone who has never ridden before. Ride that until you can ride it competently and then move up to a 500cc. After that you can ride anything.
These cc recommendations are for standard, ordinary bikes not race replicas. Don't get a bike that is more than 3 times your body weight (minus 20% for a female).
One more thing: Make sure you can flat foot the bike with both legs when you're sitting on it.
You want your learning experience to be an enjoyable one or you'll hate it and give the sport away. Imagine dropping the bike at a red light and you can't pick it up and all the cars behind you making a hell of a racket, etc..
Don't bite off more than you can chew is all I have to say!
I started on a 50cc, 35 years ago.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,178 Posts
The first bike I rode after I got my license was a Honda Shadow 250. I was bored of it in 2 hours. The thing can't even go highway speeds. I would agree with AndrewM's suggestions.
I rode an EX500 for a while, I really enjoyed that thing...

·
Registered
732 Posts
WOW, Great your girl is a phenom and rides great and all but we are talking to a Girl who has not and does not even ride!

And for your ex500 advise... well Keep in mind we are talking about a HUGE weight difference. 437 wet vs 355 for the 250. Not to mention the feel of this top heavy weight at a stand still. :wacko

I would go with the MUCH better looking newer 250 if I were starting out.

99% of the people you run across will not know one difference between a new 250 and new 600. Your street cred. will not even be in play, but hey if you like 1970's style then ya sure there are tons of bikes to get. :lmao

P.S. Everyone knows everything on the interwebs. :dissapointed
My ex didn't know anything about bikes when she started and still barely does in my opinion. I have known serveral people, guys and girls that have started with 125s and 250's and they all hated them after a couple months. They all got something bigger and wished they never started on bike so low in HP. You can tote your 250cc advice all you want ... Have you even ridden one of those 250's yet? Go ride one and tell me how long you would want to keep that as your only bike. Besides I said that if money is no object then go ahead and get one.

It's about HOW you ride, not WHAT you ride!

P.S. After she got comfortable on the R6 I told her to take my 1000 out. She was scared to at first but got over that fear pretty quick once she realized that she was the one in control of the power. All she could say when she got off it was "Holy shit how do you ride that thing so slow" ;)

·
5,766 Posts
One more thing: Make sure you can flat foot the bike with both legs when you're sitting on it.
You want your learning experience to be an enjoyable one or you'll hate it and give the sport away. Imagine dropping the bike at a red light and you can't pick it up and all the cars behind you making a hell of a racket, etc..
Don't bite off more than you can chew is all I have to say!
I started on a 50cc, 35 years ago.
Some sound advice here!

The others well... You cant listen to every blow hard you run across on here. :nono

I guess the WERA guys racing the new 250's I watched at Nashville superspeedway Sat. And Sunday are all just stupid.

Kawisaki makes them to trick everyone into WASTING money I guess. :dunno

I'll sell ya my 2006 1000 if ya want?

PM me for the address.

BRING CASH! And it would be wise to have a life insurance policy!:cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts