Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks guys for the info on my '89 750. Turns out that my fuel valve was intermittently just not flowing fuel. I put a new one in and the dying problem went away.
I also found my piston valve on my number 3 carburetor almost completely stuck. Took it apart, cleaned it, and now it's fine.
After cleaning my K&N's, I found out how important it is to not over oil them. I put too much oil on them, and the bike barely ran and was belching black smoke. Took off the filters and ran it in the garage and it runs a lot better.

My plugs are still a little black, and it's rich off idle. The guy I bought it from said it has a stage 3 kit. The bike also has full V&H exhaust. Should I try working with what I have, or should I jet it down? Which kits are good?
A mechanic at Suzuki told me that K&N's are the worst, and that they always let dirt in and ruin carbs. Any opinions?
Still have that damn short in my headlight circuit, though.
Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Ballz750:

After cleaning my K&N's, I found out how important it is to not over oil them. I put too much oil on them, and the bike barely ran and was belching black smoke. Took off the filters and ran it in the garage and it runs a lot better.

My plugs are still a little black, and it's rich off idle. The guy I bought it from said it has a stage 3 kit. The bike also has full V&H exhaust. Should I try working with what I have, or should I jet it down? Which kits are good?
A mechanic at Suzuki told me that K&N's are the worst, and that they always let dirt in and ruin carbs. Any opinions?
Still have that damn short in my headlight circuit, though.
Thanks again, guys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm no Guru, but here's my opinion.

It's easy to over oil them, but better than not enough, I guess.

I would try working with what you have.
If it's rich at idle I would just turn in the mixture screws a little. If it's rich after that point, I would check to see if it really has a jet kit in it. If it does, I'd try dropping the needles a notch or two. If that doesn't cure it, I'd set the needles back the way they were, then lower the float level a few MM's (I think this is your prob.). If when I lower the level, it doesn't fix it and it runs funny, then I'd figure I probably need smaller main jets.

That Suzuki mechanic you talked to is a fool.
I've commuted daily, ridden through deserts, salt flats, hail storms, SERIOUS HEAT, SERIOUS COLD, many dirt roads, a creek or two, just about every environment I can think of right now and my carbs were fine.
They were BST36SS's w/K&N's, the same sets too. Just when the oil kind of seeps down to the bottoms after a while, turn them upside down and let the oil run the other way. When they dry out or start to look dirty you can just wash them and re-oil them!
Try to wash a Suzuki filter!

[ 04-19-2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am going to follow your advice and keep the K&N's to begin with. I have heard nothing bad about them until I talked to that mechanic.
I'm gonna give what you told me about the carbs a shot. It's getting better and better as I work with it, so hopefully it just needs some fine tuning?
By the way, all four of my carbs have pieces of vaccum hose with screws stuck in them to plug off vaccum fittings on the bottom of the carbs, close to the bowl drains. My manual shows some hoses running between all the carbs on these fittings, but it doesn't explain what they do. Any ideas? Can these stay plugged off? (With real vaccum caps).
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
156 Posts
those holes go to the emissoins canister that was all stock ... not important anymore since you dont have it .... mine were never plugged though so i dont know why yours would be ...but its all emissions junk anyways

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was looking in the manual and was surprised to see how much emission crap the california bikes have. Especially that air suction system. I'll just get good vaccum caps or pull them all off and leave it at that.
Thanks, now I know.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Ballz750:
Yeah, I was looking in the manual and was surprised to see how much emission crap the california bikes have. Especially that air suction system. I'll just get good vaccum caps or pull them all off and leave it at that.
Thanks, now I know.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The more that I look at the drawings of that thing in the shop manual, the more I wonder if it could be used to evacuate the crankcase like the "pair mod" on the newer gixxers... whaddaya think Jeff?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if they're vacuum ports on the carbs, then you'd be pulling crankcase fumes into the motor....it would evacuate the crankcase a bit, but whatever gains you'd get you'd likely lose due to contamination of the intake charge by the hot vapors.

as i understand it, on these generation gsxr's, california-spec bikes DO have a secondary air system that appears to be very similar to the systems on newer bikes, so it should be possible to run the crankcase breather into it and evacuate the crankcase. this will only work on a cali-spec bike.....might be worth a try for those of you who have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts