Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike totalled this fall and have been slowly getting her back together.
I'm waiting for a few more things in the mail, but she's getting there

Here's what it looked like about a month ago

So far I've
Replaced the rear wheel
New stearing head bearings and races
New forks
Triple clamps straightened
Guages
brake MC
subframe straightened (although not very well
)
new faing stay/headlight bracket
and some other samll misc crap.
She's going to be a track bike, so I'm not worried about making it too pretty. Just trying to get everything back together

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for her totalled? I am looking to do the same thing but I am not sure which would be cheaper getting something that looks like a pretzel for cheap and piecing it back together, or just buying something that is pretty much all set minus a few things.
Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your best bet is finding a bike like I did. Mine had a blown motor but the body is in great shape. With an extra set of plastic, new front tire, tank, haynes manual and a few other parts I paid $900. This is for a 99 gsxr600. All I have to do is buy a low mileage motor and drop it in which should cost no more than another $800 or so I'm guessing. So $1700 for a $3000+ bike.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got less than $1300 into it so far.
I know the original owner, he sold it to a buddy of his who totalled it four days later.
It had been sitting in a barn in upstate NY.
For the most part, if you can get the bike cheap enough and have the time and patience to scrounge parts then it works.
But it's getting harder to find wrecked bikes cheap these days.
I bought my TL totalled back in 99 and have about $4500 into it

·
Registered
372 Posts
Coming along.

What front fender is that. is sure doesnt look like the srad one. Is that a new gen one and just made it fit?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coming along.

What front fender is that. is sure doesnt look like the srad one. Is that a new gen one and just made it fit?
No, that's the stock fender off my TL.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
looks good I like the original Honda wanna-be paint job, it looked good even though it wasnt a honda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts