Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember, that over the past year or so through various threads, I've been doing a lot of self discovery with my bike's chassis and suspension, and just over all knowledge in the subject. Many of you have helped me along the way and I just wanted to say thanks a'lot. Today I did what I hope are the final touches on the setups (for now).

Here is the end result; suspension gurus please chime in to let me know if everything looks right to you, because it feels right now. Hopefully this might be able to help others who weigh about 165 w/o gear and own a 2002 Gix 1k

Fork preload: pos 5
Forks: 6mm above clamp
Fork free sag: 20mm
Fork rider sag: 31mm
Fork comp: 10/15 (66% out)
Fork rebound: 4/~14-15 (26% out)

Shock spring set length: 178mm
Shock free sag: 10mm
Shock rider sag: 28mm
Shock Compression: 12/21 (57% out)
Shock Rebound: 8/24 (33% out)

<u>Miscellaneous notes:</u>

*R/T valving w/ standard springs

*Silkolene 5W oil (90mm from top)

*100mm fork spacers

*3mm shim above shock

*Trail~250mm

*The internal preload (adjusted through the use of an aluminum spacer) is set at 100mm; 15 mm longer then the standard spacer. The reasoning behind this was due to previous adjustment attempts wherein the fork’s external preload adjusters were maxed out in trying to increase the preload to obtain a 34mm rider sag setting. (Compare to the 3-25-2005 measurements). Now...the external preload adjusters are full out, which leaves plenty of room in the event the rider gets heavier, but little to no adjustment available to accommodate a lighter weighted rider when one is wanting to retain the rider sag at around 31-33mm (dependant upon gear being worn). If the rider weight does get lighter, the standard spacers can be reinstalled into the forks or perhaps something in between in length.

*The fork compression dampening has been let out about 66%, and estimation by which the forks will have as much travel as possible when traversing over bumps or braking hard while still not bottoming out. The fork rebound was adjusted through the static method of pressing the forks and letting them rebound with no resistance. The rebound was let out completely so that when the forks compressed they rebounded higher then needed and then resettled at their normal sag levels. The rebound was then dailed in until the re-settling no longer occurred. The same goes for the rear shock, wherein the compression was dailed in just under the 50% mark, to allow for a softer feel and the rebound dialed so that the rear raised back up in about a second’s time.

*The use of 5W fork and shock oil seems to make the components (especially the shock) settle lower then that of the standard components (see 5-17-2005 measurements). It was highly noticeable when the first RT install was made a few months earlier. Knowing that the bike handled considerably better as far as turn in goes in comparison to the setup from 3-25; further measurements were taken for comparison purposes when the RT components were reinstalled. The bike was placed in the same location for both measurements to retain consistent and reliable readings. A 3mm shim was fabricated from a washer bought at Lowe’s, the outer diameter had to be shaved to accommodate the clearance given by the clevis. This estimated an overall increase in rear ride height of about 7-7.5mm (assuming a 2mm washer provides 5mm of lift approx.). This addition seems to have provided roughly the same geometry with the RT clad bike as the standard setup bike, fixing the previous problems of a heavy turn in feel similar to that of a chopper when the first attempt at the RT install was made. The overall ride height however seems to be 2-3mm higher then that of the stock/factory setup.

**In the future, after a few test rides have been made, the forks may be raised in the clamps another couple mm, but that remains to be seen. Overall, the bike feels good again and after a year’s worth of troubleshooting it’s a good feeling. The front tire is new, the front right caliper is new, and the brake pads are new as well; and now the suspension settings seem to be right where I want them...for now.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts