Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Finally got a GSXR!

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Taotech 
#1 ·
Hello all this is my first post. I got to ride a 750 in 1987 and then I got to ride another 750 in 1991. I have wanted one ever since. The mid 90’s bikes are going pretty cheap around here so I finally snatched one! So after roughly 30 years of waiting. I got one!!!!

#5 ·
My plan is to clean the tank. Send the carbs off for some professional ultrasonic cleaning, then rebuild them. New battery and change all the fluids. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

#12 ·
I got her running yesterday. 3 problems. #2 main jet sitting in the bowl. #1 plug no sparky. Stator installed wrong throwing the timing off.

Attachments

#15 ·
I filled the tank with bb’s and vinegar and let her soak. Shook her up real good. Dumped her out, this got most of the HUGE CHUNKS of scale out. Everything is going in and out of the petcock hole. I cant get the fuel lid off! YET!

Attachments

#17 ·
I got super lucky! I could not get the cap open with the key. I ground out the key cylinder till I could open it with a screwdriver. Once opened, now that I can see down in there real good, I realize the tank had been coated at some point! All the scale was easily removed from the coated service! No rust in the tank!!

Attachments

#18 ·
Dang! I just opened the tank to take a picture of the beautiful inside and rust is in there again! After multiple treatments of vinegar, water and baking soda flush, oil and gas pre-mix, then regular gasoline, after sitting overnight with the regular gasoline, the rust is alive. Got to go get some more vinegar.

Attachments

#19 ·
I’ve been working on the hydraulics also. No rebuild kit so I’m doing this on the cheap. I’m just taking apart everything cleaning all the **** out. So far so good the rear brakes were fine just need a good flushing. Front calipers are locking up so far I got five pistons working. The clutch slave Was leaking because some of the bolts on the cover were missing allowing it to flex. New bolts on order from eBay!

Attachments

#20 ·
Trying to get her running as cheap as possible right now. I paid too much for the bike but I got him as low as I could. 1350 for the bike, I feel it was only worth 800, $60 for used air filters, $40 for throttle cables, one spark plug for 3.50, 60 bucks for a battery, brake fluid and antifreeze roughly $15, the bolts for the clutch cover $10, gasoline vinegar baking soda maybe $15, Chinese gas cap from eBay $18, 8 bucks for ignition reluctor gasket. Total 1580 so far. Too much but I am having fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.