Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been lurking these forums for like two years now, ever since I had my 18 year old dream to have a gixxer 6, and I've finally decided on what I really SHOULD get; an 05 250 ninja. Maybe it was the guys on this board who always pound start small into everyones head, or maybe I'm just two years wiser... but I think a 600 is really way to big a bike, at least for me, to start on. I'm currently in China, but I've already got the cash (the bike only costs ~3k OTD
) and can't wait to get back and start riding.
I took the MSF course two years ago, so I'll probably take a refresher again when I get back, and all my gear's bought and waiting at my apartment. Not really much point to this post, except maybe to let you guys know that the best argument you can make against people who want tlo buy a big bike to start is, to paraphrase: "better to be fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike." That's the one that really hit the idea home for me. So anyway, thanks for all the info I've lurked from yuo over the years. This is a great board, and I can't wait to start riding.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Congrats on the wise choice.
I like that saying too. The site it's off of was well written, and made a lot of sense. When I started out, there weren't bike forums around like this one, but I did have a friend into bikes that helped me pic out a smaller one (550cc) for my first. Of course, he told me I'd tire of the lack of power after a few months, but I hung in with it for several years.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Definately wise not to start on a new 600R... I would make one suggestion though... Since your "dream" is a gix 6, instead of buying a brand new 250 (any new bike loses a LOT of value soon as you walk it out the door), why not look for a used 250, 500, etc? 95% of the time you can find a good deal on a starter bike (people selling to move up), put a season or two on it, then sell it to another starter for practically the same price you paid for it... In the mean time you could even have been saving for a big down payment on a new sixxer...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the site! Glad our insight has helped you out! Keep comin' back for more. There's a lot of good info to be had here.
You made a smart choice!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Another smart rider!!

Congrats!

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
i remember when i bought my first bike, it was a 96 ex500, it was 3 years old, and i only paid 1800 for it. I rode that around for a year until i bought a 600. it was a good bike, and forgiving. but it taught me some lessons.

ride safe, and start saving for the sixxer

·
Registered
399 Posts
I dont know if its just me but I think later down the road going from a 250 to a GSX-R 6 is a bit of a jump dont you think? I ride a 600 now and I would never think of getting on a 1K (getting the 750 at the end of season)..

·
Registered
670 Posts
I honestly think if someone can ride the 250 for a year with no problems, they should be able to handle the 600's power when they upgrade. Of course the power is going to be a world of a difference and the handling will not be the same, but the reason for starting on a 250 is so the person can learn to react to certain situations when tragedy comes. If you can avoid potential accidents as a second nature, then you should be ready to upgrade to a 600 no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts