Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"FI\" warning message!!

On the weekend (It's monday here in Australia) i decided to go for a blat up some of the back roads of sydney with a mate and his Duke. About half an hour into the journey i received an FI warning message. The coolant temp and FI symbol were alternating, and the red light on the tach was constantly lit.

The engine didn't stop, it would just struggle to get the revs above 9,000 - 10,000 when i applied throttle. It would accelerate to 9,000 seemingly fine and then kind of surge a little trying to get the revs any higher.

Needless to say, i immediatley stopped and let the bike have a rest. With this new turn of events, my mate and i decided to cut the journey short and return home.

When turning the bike back on, it started fine, and the "FI" warning had dissapeared. I rode all the way home with the bike behaving as normal and the problem hasn't occured since.

In light of this apparently "one-off" FI problem, i have booked my bike in to have the Fuel Injection system checked out under warranty, but i would also appreciate the opinions of my fellow gixxerists.

Has anyone experienced this problem of FI playing up and then the problem going away just as quickly?

I only fill the tank with high quality fuel, and i've only hit redline about five - six times in 2000kms.

Cheers,
Ed Fox.
'01 GixSix

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Re: \"FI\" warning message!!

whoa, deja vu! jasenh7 just had the exact same problem (same bike as yours) a few days ago. never figured out what it was. it went away as quickly as it happened.

did you happen to notice if the oil pressure or coolant temperature icons on the lcd were lit?

------------------

·
Registered
111 Posts

Your bike(s) should have stored a malfunction code in the ECM, if you put the bike in "dealer mode" you should be able to read the code from the LCD display and determine which sensor caused the error. When the FI light is on I believe the bike is in "Fail Safe Mode", according to the manual, fail-safe will allow the engine to start and the bike will run in a minimum performance mode. I'm pretty sure the 600 has similar diagnostics to my y2k 750.

Hope this helps!

------------------
2000 GSX-R750, Yellow/Black, M4 Full Sys/Carbon, PC2

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts

Same thing happened to my bike 98 750 last year. Once i stopped and turned teh bike off and then back on it was gone. <shrug>

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

yeah we tried that with jasen's bike, but he got a c00 - no error. superbike00 (who's a suzuki tech) says that the ecu doesn't actually remember the error message, but will only display the error if the problem is still there when the bike is put into dealer mode. the service manual, on the other hand, seems to disagree.

at any rate, jasen's problem also disappeared after he pulled over and switched his ignition off and on.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

Well, make it three guys. My FI light came on all the second while driving 75 down the freeway. The bike didn't act any different. I parked it, let it sit for 10 minutes and started it back up. Never seen the light since.

I talked to the Service Manager and he said it's nothing to worry about. Probably the FI tripped out on some bad gas.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

No Fuel Injection or oil symbols were present jeff, Just the letters "FI" alternated in the bottom right hand corner of the LCD with the coolant temp.

I just went out and put the thing in dealer mode and i too got -C00, which as you stated indicated no error. This certainly is perplexing... not to mention.. it's a little worrying when we start to see a trend.

Has anyone experienced this problem more than once??

Ed.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

Make that four. Same exact thing happened to me. Turned off the bike and started it back up, and it was gone, havent seen it since. 2001 gixxer 600 with 1300 miles.

------------------

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

On the way home from picking up my bikeat the dealer the FI light came came on but th bike was still running fine. I was only 10 minuets away from the dealer so i decidd to turn around and go back to see what the problem was. On the way back to the dealer the light shut off. When i got back the dealer told me not to worry about it and if it happens again to bring it back since they were closing.

------------------
2001 gsxr-600
stock for now

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Could it be a voltage problem in either the ecu or between the fi unit? Interesting it effects over 9000 rpm. probably not, but it seems odd that it stops once you turn it off and back on. I wish the tranny issue was the same

Scott

------------------

·
Registered
218 Posts

how do you put the bike in dealer mode?

------------------
-=GSXRpilot=-
2001 GSXR750 blue/white
[email protected]

·
Registered
116 Posts

I beleive the dealer CAN pull stored trouble codes out of the system within a certain number of ignition cycles. Meaning..the computer WILL Store codes for "x" amount of times your turn the key on. So when you put the computer in "daig mode" at home you are

·
Registered
194 Posts

If the display indicates "FI" and the coolant temp indicator blinks and the red indicator light comes on and remains lit. The engine is safe to run in this mode, it is kinda like a "safe mode" but you do need to get it checked out while it is under warranty, it's possible it could just be an overactive sensor, but one never know for sure. At what mileage did this happen to everyone, seeing as how I just bought my "01 600, maybe I will have to watch out for this problem also!

------------------

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My glitch occured at approx 1950kms which is roughly about 1200 miles.

PS: I just spoke to my dealer and explained that i got a "no error" code when i put her into dealer mode. My dealer said that it's almost impossible to diagnose what caused the FI warning to appear without an error code of some type.

Could these problems be caused just by a little bad fuel? Comon Jeff... we're all waiting for you to tell us what's wrong with our bikes!

Ed.
'01 GixSix

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ed_Fox (edited 03-05-2001).]

·
Registered
5,225 Posts

FYI FI,
I didn't notice the FI come on, probably was too busy dodging traffic to exit the interstate. Bike had approx 2200 on it. Has not happened since, but its only been about a week and a half...

·
Registered
437 Posts

A reminder- your bike DID come with an owner's manual. Here it is straight out of my owner's manual for the 2001 GSXR600.

----------------------------
FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM INDICATOR (FI):

If the fuel injection system fails, the red indicator light (on the tach) comes on and the display indicates "FI" in the following two modes:

A: The display inicates "FI" and coolant temperature alternately, and the red indicator light comes on and remains lit. The engine may continue to run in this mode.

B: The display indicates "FI" continuously and the red indicator light blinks while cranking the engine. The engine will not run in this mode.

-CAUTION- (written in bold box)
Riding the motorcycle with the display indicating the problem of the fuel injection system with the indicator light lit can damage the engine and transmission.

Whenever the red indicator light is lit and the siplay indicats "FI", have your authorized Suzuki dealer or qualified mechanic inspect the fuel injection system as soon as possible.

(below the box)
NOTE:
- If the display indicates "FI" and the collant temperature alternately, and the red indicator light comes on and remains lit, keep the endinge running and bring your motorcycle to an authorized Suzuki dealer. If the engine stalls, try restarting the engine after turning the ignition switch off and on.
-If the display indicates "FI" continuously and the red indicator light blinks, the engine will not start.
---------------------------

That doesn't help a whole lot, but I don't get anything about "Safe Mode" out of that write up. My light came on just as I was on the way home from the dealer from buying my bike. I called them, and they said not to worry. It also cleared the next time I started it and it hasn't come back on since. They said that because it was essentially dry before pickup, there may be some small air bubbles in the system. They also said that if it happens while riding, it's possible the gas has some contaminants. Regardless, they said I should bring it in to have it checked out immediately if the light ever comes back on, and that it isn't okay just to "ride around" while the light is on.

That's my vote's worth. Good luck guys.

-Jest

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

i highly doubt bad fuel would cause the fi light to go on, as the ecu has no way of monitoring fuel quality, but it does monitor the various fi sensors. if it receives an unexpected (or no) signal from them, it will trigger the fi light.

assuming that the problem wasn't oil pressure or coolant temperature (although an intermittent connection or short in the wiring to these sensors would cause the fi light to trigger, along with the appropriate icon in the lcd), it would have to be an issue with one or more of the other sensors (or their connections to the ecu).

since in all of these instances the fi light was blinking and the motor was still running, that eliminates a few of the sensors that don't have a fail safe 'limp home' mode mode (off the top of my head - tipover switch and crankshaft position sensor).

that leaves a whole bunch of other sensors. i'm guessing that, if anything, it's more likely an issue of wiring than the sensors themselves. superbike00 mentioned that the wire to the oil pressure switch can rub and intermittently ground - causing the fi light to go on.

if anybody who has had the problem is up to it, they can try checking the wires going into the various sensors, to see if that's okay.

p.s. the fail-safe modes aren't mentioned in the owner's manual, but they're mentioned in the service manual.

------------------

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Jeff,

That's be great. If you could post scans of the entire FI system that would be even better!! I have ordered my service manual, but im told it'll take about 1 month to get into the country.

Ed.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

ed,

sorry, the wife's busy with the scanner. i'll try to get the scans done tomorrow.

------------------

1 - 20 of 38 Posts