Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, just got the bad news from the dealer mechanic. His price is $1900 out the door. I didn't pull the code myself. I doubt a dealership would rip me on that sort of thing.
The bike runs great (just won't go over 80). What damage could be done to the engine if I continue to drive it ( I use it to commute into work)?
I'm bummed bigtime. I'm in the process of buying a house and this couldn't have come at a worse time. Does that price sound about right?

:mad

·
Stunt Midget
387 Posts
check the code yourself... from the problem you describe, i'm willing to bet its C28: Secondary Throttle Valve. If it is, just remove the secondary butterfly or find a way to keep it open. Mine did the same thing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
racer2c said:
Damn, just got the bad news from the dealer mechanic. His price is $1900 out the door. I didn't pull the code myself. I doubt a dealership would rip me on that sort of thing.
The bike runs great (just won't go over 80). What damage could be done to the engine if I continue to drive it ( I use it to commute into work)?
I'm bummed bigtime. I'm in the process of buying a house and this couldn't have come at a worse time. Does that price sound about right?

:mad
$1900!!!! If it is truely the Secondary Throttle Valve Actuater, you may have to replace the entire Throttle body assembly. The reason I say that is because according to what I see in the Microfiche on Ron Ayers W/S is that the STVA is not available by itself. Now I didn't spend much time there so maybe it's somewhere else other than the throttle body page.

Even if you had to replace the whole assembly, the list price is $622 for an '05 Gixxer 600. I don't know if you have a 600 or a 750 but should be about the same. $1300 labor????? Wow. Now keep in mind, we are assuming that you're throwing a code 28. You should really find out what the code is, get the service manual for your bike, and diagnose it yourself if you're inclined to do so.

If it turns out to be the STVA, see if you can get a part number and replace it yourself. You'll need to recalibrate the sensors but may be worth the savings.

Then again....what do I know:scratch

·
Stunt Midget
387 Posts
Yes, if it's the STVA you have to replace the whole damn throttle body and it aint cheap. Even if you find one on ebay most of the time.

They're not needed, they are there purely for emissions reasons. Team Yoshimura removes them and recalibrates the CPU, but you don't have to go that far.

Just remove the sucker and be done with it. The only difference you'll really notice is a bit lower rpm at idle and you can adjust that easily.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the honest replies guys. I about fell over when he gave me the bad news.

I'm decently mechanically inclined but I don't have much free time to tear into the STVA's. The mechanic did say that he would need to order the throttle assembly and gave me a price of $800.

I assume it won't mess things up to ride it while I'm contemplating my game plan with this thing? I'm going to pick it up tonight and do the paper clip thing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What I don't understand is that in the service manual it says that if you find the problem to be the STVA, replace it. How the hell do you replace it if you can't get it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if I remove the ST's how do you clear the C28 code and get it out of "limp" mode?

Is removing the ST's something a non-dealer mechanic might do or do they not touch it because it's emissions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
racer2c said:
And if I remove the ST's how do you clear the C28 code and get it out of "limp" mode?

Is removing the ST's something a non-dealer mechanic might do or do they not touch it because it's emissions?
That's a good question. I don't know. The code is thrown when the actuater fails. Removing the butterflies is not going to fix the problem as far as the computer is concerned. I would expect the bike to ride fine though.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,780 Posts
To anyone having or has had this problem on an '04 or '05 600. PM me if you still have the bad unit. I will pay for shipping. I bet I can find a way to fix it. My guess either the motor goes, or gears, or position sensor. Mine works fine, so I don't want to take it apart. I just want to find a fix for this. So many people having problems, and this thing can not be that complex. If I can fix it, I will return it to you so you can sell it. If I can't, well, then you're out nothing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gsxr600k5red said:
That's a good question. I don't know. The code is thrown when the actuater fails. Removing the butterflies is not going to fix the problem as far as the computer is concerned. I would expect the bike to ride fine though.
It does ride fine, just won't go over 80. Maybe that's not so bad...kinda like a governer. :eek:hmy

·
Registered
379 Posts
TheGeek said:
To anyone having or has had this problem on an '04 or '05 600. PM me if you still have the bad unit. I will pay for shipping. I bet I can find a way to fix it. My guess either the motor goes, or gears, or position sensor. Mine works fine, so I don't want to take it apart. I just want to find a fix for this. So many people having problems, and this thing can not be that complex. If I can fix it, I will return it to you so you can sell it. If I can't, well, then you're out nothing.
Damn, that sounds like fun. I do that with things all the time that are suppose to be "unserviceable". I have a bunch of washing machine timers laying around that I tore apart and fixed. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I just had this same problem with my K4 750....go on ebaymotors and search for a K4 or K5 throttle body. I got mine off of a wrecked K5 750 for $95 shipped! Prices will very, but mine was like new! A new throttle body system will cost about 700 from Ron Ayers. It's incredibly easy to replace and will run like a champ with a new/used one. Ebay is your friend....most of the time.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
My K5 600 did this while on a 500+ mile trip to Cali and back. My dealer in Vegas said that the warranty I purchased with the bike doesn't cover this repair, but after about an hour on the phone he got a rep at Suzuki cover it under emissions. I can get the paperwork and the rep's name when I get home if you think that would help.
I paid $0 for all the work, had to replace the throttle bodies. I think it was like $1100 and change after it was all said and done. Suzuki covered it all, not my dealer or my warranty..

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.