Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is too much oil in a 06 gsxr 600/750 it will cause the right light to stay on and "FI" symbol to flash? I just an 06 750 yesterday and after riding the bike home if noticed the red light was on and the FI light was flashing. After checking the oil i noticed that there is TOO MUCH oil in the bike. The guy who sold me the bike is saying that i should drain out some oil and the light will go off. He was told this by a suzuki tech. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think if it was the oil there would be an oil symbol lit up as well. How much did you put in anyway? There is an easy way to find out if its too much... Stand the bike upright and check for yourself. If the oil line is in between those two lines it should be good. Well, welcome to gixxer.com! If you want you could fill out your bike specs so ppl can help you more accurately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure how much oil the previous guy put in it but there is definitely more than there should be based on looking at the site window. I guess im going to run the diagnostic to see if any codes appear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think that too much oil would do that. The dealer overfilled my oil by quite a bit when they assemble my bike, and it was never a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post an update around 6:00 after I run the diagnostic. I had another guy tell me that he had the same problem and when he had the oil changed at a dealership the light went off. I hope it is that simple but doubt it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sounds more like the S.E.T valve is not working on proper specs and might need an adjustment.

I constantly fill my oil to the top of the window and never had any lights or errors, i think the only related oil error codes would be no pressure / low pressure or maybe oil temp too high / overheating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i just changed the oil and did the diagnostic and the only code is "-C00" which means nothing wrong, right? Are the cables running to the set valve supposed to have a great deal of tension? do they need to be even?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
So you just confirmed it is the SET valve. :lol :biggrin :lol :biggrin :lol

See, the SEt valve code resets every time you turn of the bike, because the code is only activated during calibration. You have to check in dealer mode with the light on.

Secondly, there is no oil sensor to trigger the FI light light. The only sensor related to oil is the oil pressure sensor, and that is OK or too low, which in the case the red light comes on and the oil symbol is blinking.

PS: regarding tension.....no not huge tension, that is what makes the FI light come on. If I were you I would just loosen about 2-3 turns the tighter cable....usually it is the bottom one by the exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the input. I adjusted the lower cable on the SET valve by about three turns and everything is peachy. I started the bike several different times to confirm the problem had been fixed. No FI light, all is well!

·
Banned
181 Posts
I just bought an 06 GSXR with only 2k miles.

I drove half way home, a few miles and the oil symbol appeared, as well as the red light underneath it.

I checked the window and it is full (the whole window is oil) when the bike is even.

I read all the posts and don't know what your talking about loosening could someone tell me so I can attempt it and see if it makes the light go away.

The light isnt blinking by the way its solid, as is the oil symbol.

The bike stayed at 190 degrees F even when the light was on.
There was a little fluid on the ground when i got home, out of a little rubber house that looks like a condensation tube or overflow tube, i felt the fluid and it wasnt hot or even warm it was cold, either water or coolant. Is that normal? What could that be?

Please any help with these two questions would be great. Thanks alot

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You issue is different. The OP had teh FI blinking because of a code C46 which is the SET valve, hence the cable adjustment.....although since then I have posted a better sticky under SET fixes on how to adjust it accurately.

Your issue seems to be related to the oil since you claim the oil symbol is on. That means that there is something wrong with the oil pressure in your engine. The sensor only works one way, so it mean low oil pressure. You don't get teh symbol for too high oil pressure. Having said that, with the engine of for a few minutes, and the bike leveled, the oil should be half way in the glass. If you really can not see anything and it is that full, I would remove some.
Here are some things to check:
A: Is it really that full, or is it empty and appears full ? As you look at it, start the engine, you should see oil moving around. Also as you tilt the bike closer to you it should approach the top, and as you tilt it towards the stand it shoudl approach the empty line.
B: Is you filter clogged? (OR a fram filter). Check you oil filter or just replace it and see if the light goes off. Do not use fram, many have seen the light come on with those, plus many claim they are very poorly made with part coming off inside. Also something about how the screw in, they seem to screw in more than they should and blocking of the release valve.
C: Could be that the oil pressure sensor went bad or disconnected.....check that.
D: something internal like an oil pump went bad.....really doubt this option.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
B: Is you filter clogged? (OR a fram filter). Check you oil filter or just replace it and see if the light goes off. Do not use fram, many have seen the light come on with those, plus many claim they are very poorly made with part coming off inside.
:lol

I was wondering who would bring in the FRAM card.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
LOL I was thinking if I should bring it up or not since there is always opposition on this matter by one or two people on this forum.
I have to admit it is tempting to buy one, very easy to find and much much cheaper.
I used it when I bought my K6. Did my first oil change at 50 miles and was thinking I will do my next at 200 miles, so I might as well go with a fram filter....LOL
The light stayed on for about 40 seconds when I changed oil and then went off.
Scared the shit out of me and never used one again.

·
What do you mean, prematuh-uh-uh-uhhhhh
2,515 Posts
I always used Fram on my K1, never had a problem. The light always shut off after about 10 seconds on that bike though. I had the same issue, took close to a minute for it to shut off on this bike. Next time I change the oil, I will use a K&N or something else. I would like to get a Scotts, but $100 is pretty steep.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I just bought an 06 GSXR with only 2k miles.

I drove half way home, a few miles and the oil symbol appeared, as well as the red light underneath it.

I checked the window and it is full (the whole window is oil) when the bike is even.

I read all the posts and don't know what your talking about loosening could someone tell me so I can attempt it and see if it makes the light go away.

The light isnt blinking by the way its solid, as is the oil symbol.

The bike stayed at 190 degrees F even when the light was on.
There was a little fluid on the ground when i got home, out of a little rubber house that looks like a condensation tube or overflow tube, i felt the fluid and it wasnt hot or even warm it was cold, either water or coolant. Is that normal? What could that be?

Please any help with these two questions would be great. Thanks alot
check ur own fuckin thread

·
Banned
181 Posts
You issue is different. The OP had teh FI blinking because of a code C46 which is the SET valve, hence the cable adjustment.....although since then I have posted a better sticky under SET fixes on how to adjust it accurately.

Your issue seems to be related to the oil since you claim the oil symbol is on. That means that there is something wrong with the oil pressure in your engine. The sensor only works one way, so it mean low oil pressure. You don't get teh symbol for too high oil pressure. Having said that, with the engine of for a few minutes, and the bike leveled, the oil should be half way in the glass. If you really can not see anything and it is that full, I would remove some.
Here are some things to check:
A: Is it really that full, or is it empty and appears full ? As you look at it, start the engine, you should see oil moving around. Also as you tilt the bike closer to you it should approach the top, and as you tilt it towards the stand it shoudl approach the empty line.
B: Is you filter clogged? (OR a fram filter). Check you oil filter or just replace it and see if the light goes off. Do not use fram, many have seen the light come on with those, plus many claim they are very poorly made with part coming off inside. Also something about how the screw in, they seem to screw in more than they should and blocking of the release valve.
C: Could be that the oil pressure sensor went bad or disconnected.....check that.
D: something internal like an oil pump went bad.....really doubt this option.
Thanks alot your very helpful.

and to the guy above this post FUCK YOU.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts