Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FI (Fuel Injection) red light came on for a short time

RE: 2008 B-King

I went for a 60 mile ride today and my FI (Fuel Injection) red indicator light came on for the first half of my ride. It was in Mode A, which means the bike will still start/run. Mode B states that the bike won't start or run. About half-way into my ride I stopped to get a cup of coffee and when I re-started the B-King, the light was not on. The bike ran great for the entire ride. False alert?

The owner's manual says (for FI Mode A) to take the bike directly to the Suzuki dealer to have it checked out.

I don't think I'm going to worry about this until it happens again. Should I worry? Has anyone encountered this?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: FI (Fuel Injection) red light came on for a short time

Are you sure it's not FI meaning fault indicator? Most bikes if you add a dealer mode switch will tell you the actual fault code.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Are you sure it's not FI meaning fault indicator? Most bikes if you add a dealer mode switch will tell you the actual fault code.
Thanks for the quick reply.

The Fuel Injection (FI) red light is described in the Owner's Manual. Below is a picture of the instrument cluster and a picture/scan of the three pages in the Owner's Manual where this FI red light is described . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ah okay, I guess the FI light evolved over the years to mean more general faults as well.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will respond to your post soon.

If we were me personally I'd ignore it until it happens again in case it was just a glitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah okay, I guess the FI light evolved over the years to mean more general faults as well.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will respond to your post soon.

If we were me personally I'd ignore it until it happens again in case it was just a glitch.
While I was searching I did find that "FI" also means "Fault Indicator". That confused me a little.

I think I'm going to ignore it because the bike started right up, idled nicely, and ran real good and strong -- whether the light was on or not.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,937 Posts
If it's not on, it's obviously hard to diagnose. I had this before with the intermittent code, it ended up being my servo actuator on the exhaust. Figure out how to pull codes on the bike, and next time make sure not to shut off the bike if you see the light.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Fuel Injection (FI) red light is described in the Owner's Manual. Below is a picture of the instrument cluster and a picture/scan of the three pages in the Owner's Manual where this FI red light is described . . .
Suzuki refers to the FI light as a fuel injection problem and it states so in my K8 750 owners manual as well. To Suzuki riders FI refers to fault indicator as the light has a list of fault codes associated to it so it's more fitting. Find the dealer mode plug and you can jump it with a paperclip or piece of speaker wire. Most, myself included, recommend a dealer mode switch (pictured) but wont do you any good now. When the FI light is on and it flashes "FI" alternating with temperature, flip the dealer switch or jump the plug but without turning off the engine. Once the engine is turned off the FI is reset and the code is lost unless you have or have access to the SDS. Nothing you can do till the red FI light pops up again unless you want to pay the dealer to retrieve the code.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Suzuki refers to the FI light as a fuel injection problem and it states so in my K8 750 owners manual as well. To Suzuki riders FI refers to fault indicator as the light has a list of fault codes associated to it so it's more fitting. Find the dealer mode plug and you can jump it with a paperclip or piece of speaker wire. Most, myself included, recommend a dealer mode switch (pictured) but wont do you any good now. When the FI light is on and it flashes "FI" alternating with temperature, flip the dealer switch or jump the plug but without turning off the engine. Once the engine is turned off the FI is reset and the code is lost unless you have or have access to the SDS. Nothing you can do till the red FI light pops up again unless you want to pay the dealer to retrieve the code.
Thanks for the info. :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts