Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FI light went on and it bucks at 6800. Was told locally that it could very well be bad gas.

Added a bottle of fuel system cleaner, and about 4 miles later...bike worked fine.

2 days later, same thing happened again. But it came and went this time.

Using 100 octane gas here in Greece, we more or less have 95 or 100. Back in the US, 93 was what I always used. Here, folks with nicer bikes use 100, not for the higher octane value, but because they say it's cleaner and less likely to be "watered down".

Was told to get as much gas out of the tank as I can, than refill again with 100 and include an octane booster as well?? Will an octane booster possibly help? Not sure how.

I had also replaced the battery today thinking maybe the battery is having an issue, nope. It's NOT the kickstand. I needed a new battery anyway so I tried. I'm thinking spark plugs?

Lastly...or most likely, bad pump? Perhaps the filter?

It bucks in each gear at 6800....but comes and goes. I'm trying to get to a dealership ASAP so I can have them look at it and pull the code. Just thought I would ask you guys here for thoughts until I'm able to get to the dealer. Thanks fellas...

DH

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,708 Posts
If it bogs down, particularly, under load, you have a clogged fuel filter. But yours sounds more like the secondary actuator is acting up. Or maybe the EXCVA isn't opening. The code is likely to tell all. You need to have a dealer mode switch so that you can quickly get malfunction codes. They don't cost much. It can be done with a paper clip but you ought to have a switch.

I wouldn't expect water in the tank to produce a code.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If fuel cleaner helped, you might try removing the injectors and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner.

Use heat shrink to connect the inlet port of the injector to a pressurized can of carb cleaner, spray a healthy amount in, then put bursts of 12V on the contacts to activate the injector. Check the output to see if you get a nice and even spray.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BillV, I do need to get a switch again. Hopefully I can get to the dealership soon. Doubt it's water, it's never out when it rains...and it hardly does here. Again, thanks.

DH

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If fuel cleaner helped, you might try removing the injectors and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner.

Use heat shrink to connect the inlet port of the injector to a pressurized can of carb cleaner, spray a healthy amount in, then put bursts of 12V on the contacts to activate the injector. Check the output to see if you get a nice and even spray.
Noted. I'll keep it in mind when I take it to the shop. Just moved and am short on both tools and time. Making a list of "possibles". Might have to wait until the weekend to get to a shop. Thanks!

DH

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't taken it in yet....but is running fine right now. Will try and see if I can get to the shop in the AM. Thx fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts