Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all a big wave out:from the newest newb on the forums

and then a bit of background and a few questions...

first off I'm shuki a 31 yr old rider who is ready to get back into a bike. I spent a few years as a kid on an xr80 and a cr125 then bought a 91 FZR 600 and kept it for a year and a half or so. 12 years or so pass and I'm drooling for a bike again and this time I want a gsxr. I was torn between it and the cbr but after sitting on both the suzuki is much more comfortable in seat, grips and feel (IMO of course)... I am now in the market for a blue 2002-2005 600cc - I think heh. on to the few ?'s

1. is there anything from the 02 to the 05 models that make one year noticably better than another? if so, what? which year should I get?
2. I considered a 750 but if I decide to take it to mid-ohio on open track day I want to have more riders to compete with. and I am under the impression that the 600 handles better than the 750 (any truth in that?)
3. Could someone give me a pros and cons of a 600 vs. a 750 without me being too big of a pain?
4. I have seen like matt mladin version of gsx r and I must admit I love the look to them! However the 2 I've seen were both 1000's. Is there something similiar to that in a 600 or 750 or do I just buy the decals to get that race bike look?

bottom line is I want a blue and white gsxr but am undecided on year and size. Can you all offer any advice and reasoning to help me sort this?

thanks!

Shuki

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Welcome to GDC!

The 04-05's are the same bike and have quite a few improvements over the 01-03 models. They were completely re-done in 04' and I would go with that year or newer. I have both an 04' and I just sold my 02' and they have a completely different feel to them. Nothing bad, but I just really like my 04 a lot better. My opinion....... 01-03 bikes are great too!
The 600-750's are damn near the same bike with the 750 having bigger balls. They handle pretty much the same.
600 vs. a 750.............. Personal preference? 750 has a little more ump and more top speed. They are both great bikes.
Mat's replica bike is a 1000 to show his championship. In only comes in the 1000.

Blue/White????????? Shame on you!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Welcome to GDC club.

1. is there anything from the 02 to the 05 models that make one year noticably better than another? if so, what? which year should I get?
Yes, it is a bit lighter and the faster.

2. I considered a 750 but if I decide to take it to mid-ohio on open track day I want to have more riders to compete with. and I am under the impression that the 600 handles better than the 750 (any truth in that?)
No, the 750 is a pure breed of a racer bike. Because the setup is right in the middle. It has enough power band for your pleasure so the 750 will be best if you want something along the line of a 600-700.

3. Could someone give me a pros and cons of a 600 vs. a 750 without me being too big of a pain?
hmmm.. 600 is nice to mess around. Good for track bike and parts heaven for upgrades. Whereas for the 750, the parts are there and there are tons of stuff you could upgrade as well. I think the big plus will be the 750 for speed, balance and all around. Where as the 600 might lack some speed since it is the lower line of the R bike.

4. I have seen like matt mladin version of gsx r and I must admit I love the look to them! However the 2 I've seen were both 1000's. Is there something similiar to that in a 600 or 750 or do I just buy the decals to get that race bike look?
not to sure on this one. But i assume it should be the same.

bottom line is I want a blue and white gsxr but am undecided on year and size. Can you all offer any advice and reasoning to help me sort this?

thanks!

Shuki
as to the advice, i would find someone (a friend or so) to sit on, test ride it around the block between the two. Also, you could try an ask the dealership if they let you take it for a spin since you are torn between the two. I'm sure they should let you if you ask them nicely.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
thank you both for the input. I am off gixxer shopping today
Enjoy!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
came home today with a 20th anniversary 750 with a very nice looking pipe with a race type looking end on it
I wanted the blue and white anyhow for nostalgia sake. I'm 31 years old and those blue and white gixxers from the past have always spellbound me. Now for the first time in my life I am a Suzuki owner and proud of it! I've owned Hondas and Yamahas but never a green machine or a Suzuki. I am a very, very happy camper. I can't even really get into it yet due to break in period but she's a BEAST!!!
Even after 35 miles or so on the engine I can already tell a difference in the engine. Can't wait until I can really get on it. Even staying below 7k rpm the front wheel just wants to fly lol I am glad I got the 750 over the 600. Don't get me wrong, the 600's have TONS of power but I wanted just a bit more. This 750 is beautiful and perfect!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Looking sweet! I ended up putting the break in miles on mine within like 2 days.... I was seriously itching to get into it and see how it compared to the old heavy 1100... One heads up... Might have just been mine, but I swapped the filter after the break in, the factory installed one was cranked on there like they used an impact wrench to install it... Tight area between the headers anyway, but I had one HELL of a time getting that bitch broke loose... I was beginning to wonder if it had left hand threads.. LOL....

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Welcome to the boards from almost the other end of the anniversary spectrum.

One thing. By getting the 750, it's a more qualified anniversary edition. I don't know why they'd dress up a 600 in the old blue/white scheme.
It just isn't right. But, it makes me think they might celebrate the litre plus's 20th anniversary next year though.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!!!!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
closing in on 700 miles on the bike now. Just gotta say, I LOVE IT!! so far I've one oil/filter change behind me with a fender eliminator kit, a black gel seat and a nice new rs3 oval CF pipe
pics soon

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man I used to think that stock exhaust really did not sound that bad.... until I fired up the yosh

put that new can on the top of the list

I have a 10mb sound clip of going down the road and running up to ~10k rpm (still supposed to keep it under 10,500rpm until 1000 miles) but no place to host it I don't suppose...

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
man I used to think that stock exhaust really did not sound that bad.... until I fired up the yosh

put that new can on the top of the list

I have a 10mb sound clip of going down the road and running up to ~10k rpm (still supposed to keep it under 10,500rpm until 1000 miles) but no place to host it I don't suppose...
hahaha, welcome to the world of yosh...
My 1100 had a vance and hines on it... I used to think it sounded awesome. Really it did... Then I heard the distinctive "grunt" of a yosh when my buddy got his R1.... Man o Man I loved that sound...
Needless to say it was on my list for the last year or so... Finally got the CF TRS installed today... It's DEFINATELY tits...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vance and hines

seemed to me a lot of people with gixxers had yosh pipes on them and I didn't really want to be trendy and go with the flow but deyaammn there's no sound like a yoshimura on a gixxer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.