Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have l2 gsxr 1000. It was working like this at 220 F fan was starting to work. 1 day ago . I left lamps on and battery became dead almost . After that i saw problem that fans comes on at 210 F and also temperatures are going higer than before what could be the problem ? How fans comes on now at 210 ? When it must comes on at 220 f ? Please help me

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
What did you do about the dead battery? Did you remove it from the bike to charge it, or is it used as is? Did you test it? Don't operate the engine with a drained battery; it will put a lot of unnecessary strain on the charging system and associated wiring. In your case, it might also be causing the system voltage to drop too low, making the ECU behave erratically. The overheating might also be due to slower fan operation, caused by the lower voltage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not charged batter its workig now well it can start motorcycle . So how is it that somtime 220 start somtime 210?

·
3,152 Posts
I did not charged batter its workig now well it can start motorcycle . So how is it that somtime 220 start somtime 210?
I don't know for certain. As far as I know, the fan is controlled by the ECU in your model, so either the ECU, decides to start the fan earlier under some circumstances and for some reason, or it's not always reading the coolant temperature correctly. On second thought though, in the latter case, it would probably also misreport the temperature at the dash and always seem to switch on at 220, which is not what you observe. Are you sure the fan should always switch on at 220?

In any case, ensuring a properly charged battery would be a good idea. The starter might still be able to crank the engine, even though the battery is half-drained. The starter motor will turn slower, but you'll only notice that once you replace or recharge the battery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found somthing. When there was hot and motorcycle was working on idle . First 3 time it was starting at 220 and off at 210. Last time after 15 minute idle from 220 it was hard for fan to comes down at 207 after that it started working on 210-200 structure . Then rain started and i go for drive . Motorcycle and air temperature in street was low . And after that again i stopped motorcycle and on idle it was working 220 -210. But after 10 -15 minute on idle again started working on 210-200. But on idle fan can not come at 200 to off . Temperature is somthing between 205 -210 and fan is always on

So what about that mabe ecu takes information that there is ambient temperature high and ecu changes switch to 210 ?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
This doesn't make that much sense because, as dpapavas notes, it should always come on at an indicated 221 °F and turn off at an indicated 212 °F. Anything else says that the ECM is acting up or has been flashed. Make sure that the battery is good and that it's always connected. Are the temperatures that you're reporting those that are displayed on the cluster?

Make sure that there's a good electrical connection to the sensor. Is the coolant level correct? Have you recently changed the coolant or removed the thermostat?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tomorrow i will take battery for full charge . Coolant lvl is good . Ecu is not flashes . I have never removed thermostat . And which connection i have to test ,Which fan relay is on the tail of motorcycle or there is another sensor on radiator ? Yes i am watching on display farenheits just its only strange that motorcycle only starts to kick on at 210 and off 200 only when ambient temp is high or motorcycle himself is worm . Becouse of my test on rain it was working 220 -210 like it must be and after long idle for take worm moyorcycle it started again 210-200 mode

·
7,716 Posts
I wonder if the contacts in your cooling fan relay are going bad and that's what your seeing. Try swapping the cooling fan and fuel pump relays to see if things change.

There's an unusual feature that you could check. I don't have an L2 service manual but this feature is present on all earlier years back to K5. As the bike warms up, the fan comes on for 5 seconds at 122, 158, and 194 °F if the engine speed is above 4000 RPM. There are the following qualifiers: 1) It's hard to tell that the fan is turning. I have white marks on mine to make it easier to see. An alternate would be to connect a 12V LED across the relay output terminals in parallel with the fan. 2) You don't have to keep the engine above 4000 all the time, just when it reaches the trip temperatures. 3) Once the fan runs at a particular temperature, it won't run again until the next temperature is reached. 4) What you'd be looking for is whether the fan comes on at the listed temperatures or at 10 °F lower values.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today i did a long run and when i came back to home it was night . I stopped motorcycle on garage and on idle display temperature was 219F fan was ON. Temperature started to drop but very very slowly . And after that the range of temp was 214 -216 F but it was not comming down to 210 F is it normal ? Becouse when fan was on , temperature was dropping always fast to 210

·
7,716 Posts
In my experience the temp should come down quickly when the fan is on. While synch-ing the throttle bodies, I hooked up a jumper to make the fan run continuously and it dragged the temp down to 175 °F.

Check if your radiator is clogged with debris.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same experiance . Some days ago when fan was on it does not had any problem to drop the temperature but now somthing strange heppens :( i will go today to full charg battery first

·
3,152 Posts
I've been observing similar behavior for the first time during heat waves this summer. At the ambient temperatures of around 38°C (100 °F) we've been having these past weeks, possibly elevated further when stuck in traffic, or at the lights in a busy street, the fan is able to keep the temperature from rising, but not to drop it to the fan-off threshold. Once I start moving, even at a slow pace, the coolant temperature starts dropping again. I have the feeling that the behavior is not always the same, as sometimes the fan does seem to be able to do its job, but I can't be certain. While moving, temperatures seem to be reasonable.

I'm leaning towards a thermostat that's beginning to stick, not opening fully, at least not all the time. This would explain the erratic bahavior, provided it's not imagined. I also considered the possibility of failing connections at the fan, dropping voltage and hence fan speed, as this seems consistent with the fact that the problem is mostly visible when standing still, with the fan on. I haven't noticed any change in the pitch of the fan noise and the fan still seems capable of blowing lava-hot gusts of air past my legs, but then again, the problem is marginal, so there's no reason to believe that the associated reduction in the fan's performance, would be noticeable. The alternative source of resistance and voltage drop, proposed by BillV escaped me, but is also quite possible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I solves problem easy :)) with done nothing becouse everything is working right :). Today i saw same motorcycle wtih year like me. I stoped him and we tested . His motorcycle was newly started and was cold . He turn on fan at 220 F and off at 210 F one time after that his motorcycle also started to kick on at 210 and off at 200 . Becouse it was hot day today. His moving temperature was like me 196- 205 F .

So its normal for gsxr to kick on early . Becouse another motorcycle does the same . That means that ECU takes information that there is hot day lr temperatures are hight and he kick on fans early
Thats it.

·
7,716 Posts
^I'm dubious. The service manual says:
Cooling fan operating temperature
OFF→ON Approx. 105 °C (221 °F)
ON→OFF Approx. 100 °C (212 °F)

I'd expect more if certain conditions cause the fan to cycle at different temperatures.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you are right in manual there is written 221F to kick on and hole winter bike was working like manual but after hot days it started working from 210 but in cold weather again 221F thats why i was afraif that somthing heppend but its fact that i tested another same gsxr and its doing the same that means that its manufacured to change fan kick at 210 on hot weather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts