Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine purchased the bike but noticed a switch on the left side of the bike. When you turn it on the fan kicks in. I haven't owned an old bike like this so wondered do you turn on the fan once the temps rise into the 200s? or do you turn on the fan before you start riding the bike?

Confused about this because my bikes fan turns on auto at higher temps to cool down the bike.

Little help here

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
welp, run the bike till it gets up to about 212, or a lil more, no more than 225 for sure, if the fan doesnt come on before it hits 225 then your stock setup has been neutered and a manual has been installed, so flip fan on cool it down go from there..my guess is it will come on cuz its so easy to install a manual switch right over the existing setup and both still work..

the bike may have from an area where it gets real hot, 100+ and owner wanted to get a jump on teh cooling so he flips it on while in town around stops and such, grinding traffic what not where not much air goes through and the bike gets real hot, good idea to get ahead of that heat if you can.

you should know if the stock sensor is still working just in case you leave it idling or something and go inside whatever you know the fan will come on.. manual fan switches are very common in hot regions, race tracks

if you want to eliminate the manual switch or get the temp sensor fan setup working it's a fairly easy system.. its either, temp sensor, wiring/connector, relay

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

welp, run the bike till it gets up to about 212, or a lil more, no more than 225 for sure, if the fan doesnt come on before it hits 225 then your stock setup has been neutered and a manual has been installed, so flip fan on cool it down go from there..my guess is it will come on cuz its so easy to install a manual switch right over the existing setup and both still work..

the bike may have from an area where it gets real hot, 100+ and owner wanted to get a jump on teh cooling so he flips it on while in town around stops and such, grinding traffic what not where not much air goes through and the bike gets real hot, good idea to get ahead of that heat if you can.

you should know if the stock sensor is still working just in case you leave it idling or something and go inside whatever you know the fan will come on.. manual fan switches are very common in hot regions, race tracks

if you want to eliminate the manual switch or get the temp sensor fan setup working it's a fairly easy system.. its either, temp sensor, wiring/connector, relay
Appreciate the feedback TM.

I'll relay the info.

Guess these older bikes have a tendency to get crazy hot period. I think better for him to just keep the switch as an alternate back up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts