Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted these on the General Forum today, but am posting it here for the SRAD Crew too!

...Just got a great deal on these left and ride site case covers (I got the set for $130 .... retail on these are about $400+ for the set
).

What they are (for the Noobs!! old farts can skip this part
):

These are an upgrade to existing engine covers. They provide added protection to your bike in the event of a crash. They are made of tougher material than stock, which will help avoid breakage of the engine casings, subsequent oil spill and risk of contamination of dirt into the internal parts of the engine (a very very expensive fix). Needless to say, a broken engine case renders the bike inoperative. By installing an upgraded casing, the chances of being able to operate the bike immediately after a mishap improve greatly...

These left and right side engine covers are made by FactoryPro and also have built-in plastic sliders to further protect the already thicker casings (most other brands do not have this great feature).

Here they are right off the shipping box:

The package also includes the gaskets needed to replace the stock ones, as well as some bolts.

Total install time for the left side took about an hour and a half. That includes the moment I put up the bike to the moment I took the finished pics...

Here is the generator stator (left) cover installed (haven't gotten around to the right side yet):

Now hopefully, I will never get to use those sliders!

[ 12-29-2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
***UPDATE***

Today it was time to install the right side case covers. I got it all prepped and here is the initial result:

BEFORE, with the fairing off:

and AFTER:

The difference in quality is pretty incredible -- the OEM covers felt pretty light and thin after handling the FactoryPro ones...

Install took about a half hour, with a diffulty of about 4 out of 10, because you had to correctly reinstall the starter idle gear back in the correct order -- pretty basic, but having a Service Manual handy was a plus, just to make sure the internals were reassembled in the correct order.

Then.... THE PROBLEM....

***TO BE CONTINUED ON THE NEXT POST***

[ 01-01-2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tested the bike, started it left it, checked to see if it was running correctly and it did. I reinstalled the fairings... and then I noticed that the fairings were STICKING OUT a good bit. Shit....

I checked to see if I did anything wrong... well the conclusion is the frame slider was thick enough to make the fairings stick out the way they did. It was ugly.

Next thought: Shit, does that mean I have to cut my beloved fairings???
... hah! NEVER!!!

Well after some deliberation, I thought it would be cool, after all, the point is to protect the engine, not the fairings. So I got to work.

I didn't know exactly where to start cutting, so I did this:

Now I have a reference point on where to start cutting my fairings. I drew a guide directly on the plastic and put a couple of guide holes:

Then took out the Dremel tool:

The rough cut! :

First fit. It was too small, just the way I wanted it:

Back to the Dremel tool, but this time just sanding off little by little:

It took me about three tries, but here is the "Final Cut" .... looks factory to me!! (Yes, I am biased):

****FINAL PICS ON THE NEXT POST********

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...And here is the Final Result!

And one more of the Left Side that I did yesterday:

---The end!

[ 12-29-2002, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
very nice Migz.... I like those covers.

hopefully you *wont* have to test the sliders!!

I think I'll put on a pair of those when I get to racing

what sticker is that on your windscreen? DTE?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys...

Originally posted by jp233:
what sticker is that on your windscreen? DTE?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...THat's not my bike, that's GixxerUK's ... maybe he can chime in and tell us which sticker it is!

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
good work, i love the idea where you imposed the pic with fairing on over the right hand side

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
nice work migz

lookin sweet,just need to polish those paw marks off the fairings

yep thats a DTE (driving to endanger) sticker
top guys

·
Registered
645 Posts
Man.. your bike looks beautiful. You keep it up really well. I love that, and those engine covers look totally smashing. They should protect the engine pretty well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where did you get such a good deal on the covers? I need to get them, they look great.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yea, how did you get them for that price, EBAY?
I am looking for some for my racebike and cant find any for under $150 a pair.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Though your fairing mod with the hold actually looks pretty good. I would have just removed the plastic slider off the motor cover instead of cutting. In the event of a right side crash, your exhaust, frame slider and clip-on will hit the pavement, not that starter cover. Odds are the fairing won't even hit the pavement (mine didn't at the track). If the fairing did hit, at least it would keep your cover from being all scraped up. What you just did was now allow the starter cover slider to hit the pavement along with the side fairing. Im not sure why race orgs actually require that right side cover anywho.
Looks good though

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those who asked about how I got that deal, I just got really lucky on eBay... the funny thing is there was an auction for it and nobody bided... I just contacted the seller after the auction was over.

He will have more coming in and he can provide a discount, but not the lucky break I just stumbled on...

I will post about it when he e-mails me back with the info.

Originally posted by GSXR750:
Though your fairing mod with the hold actually looks pretty good. I would have just removed the plastic slider off the motor cover instead of cutting. In the event of a right side crash, your exhaust, frame slider and clip-on will hit the pavement, not that starter cover. Odds are the fairing won't even hit the pavement (mine didn't at the track). If the fairing did hit, at least it would keep your cover from being all scraped up. What you just did was now allow the starter cover slider to hit the pavement along with the side fairing. Im not sure why race orgs actually require that right side cover anywho.
Looks good though
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">True, in part, and of course I considered this before cutting through my fairings. After some thought, you come out with so many possibilities in a crash, that the example above would only be one of a multitude of variables. There are certain types of impact that it will protect, and of course others that won't.

In one possibility: in a high speed lowside, the asphalt can eat through the frame slider, and on the gixxer, the very next item exposed would be the clutch cover. Having the secondary frame slider there would lessen risk to rashing/breaking of the actual clutch cover, as the frame slider would absorb a lot of the rashing.

So many possibilities... In the end, my wife thought it would look cool and different, so I only do what she says

·
Registered
751 Posts
Can you email me his email? Im looking to buy a set by next week. Best ive found is the ugly NRC for $156 a pair.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
migz--

looks great!!

one suggestion....maybe adding back (grey vinyl??) a piece of the U that was lost when you dremeled the new area??? im thinking a decal to cover a portion of the end of the new slider, where the U used-ta be...

just a thought!!

nice work

scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts