Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips for removing the factory warning stickers that they plaster all over the tank and frame when built? The bike is black, and I think we all know how that color responds to a scratch even from a fly landing on it. I want to get the stickers off before it's too late, and I want to harm the clearcoat as little as possible. Messed with one for a few seconds, and was only able to mearly chip a corner of the sticker off. Suggestions?? I only have about 5 HUGE stickers to go!

Jeff

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Get a blow dryer and take your time.

my .02

·
Registered
213 Posts
I forget exactly what the stickers are made of and how hard they are to get off... but i definately support the blow-dryer idea! And if you have any adhesive residue left over just use some goo-gone or something as simple as windex to get that off. Windex will also aid in the removal of the sticker. just take your time and don't do anything dumb like use a razor to scrape it off... but you have already expressed your concern about that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used the bow dryer method on the two located on the fuel tank. It helps quite a bit. Still, tediousness and patience are definetly virtues, as if you get a hold of a good piece, it will rip, and your back to square one. Takes time, but no scratches though. H*nda polish works AWESOME to remove the adhesive residue left behind. spray, let it soak for about 15 secs, and it wipes off easily.

I was thinking about the razor blade idea, but I think I'll go with sandpaper

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah, the blowdryer is the way to go, that is if you can't find a heat gun. just be careful about heating up the paint. you don't want to make the paint to hot it could bubble up. maybe a hair dryer doesn't get that hot, but i know with a heat gun you gotta be carefull. just a precaution, and good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i used a heat gun for the tank, but if you don't trust yourself with a heat gun, use the hair dryer...

·
Registered
134 Posts
a steamer will work fine too. don't concentrate the steam on the sticker. put it on and off the sticker about every 3-4 seconds, then take a credit care and work it slowly from the corners.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Heat gun will work but I reccomend a blow dryer so it won't get too hot
Honda polish let soak for a few min and the goo wipes right off
Heat as you pull with the blow dryer to keep it going

·
Registered
45 Posts
leave the bike in the sun to heat it up, will work sometimes, that way you wont have to stand there with and a blow dryer, feeling like and idiot

as for the glue thats left behind, citrus cleaner takes it right off, just make sure you hose it with water afterwards...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts