Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably answered somewhere else by someone, but I can't find it using the search because for some reason the search removes "F1" out of my search criteria - great idea!!?

Anyhow, today whilst riding my bike home from work at "normal speeds" (130kmh/80mph) I got an intermittant F1 fault and red warning light showing up on my K3.
I say intermittant because if I switch the engine off, then back on again, it goes away for a short while.

Anyone got any bright and useful ideas what the problem is or could be, and what I can do to fix it?? (get a dealer switch eh!!?)
The bike itself doesn't seem to have any problems - everything is running well, oil etc seems fine!

Bike was serviced two or three weeks ago (18K km' / 12K Miles), but has had two rather hard "pastings" since then
ie ... I did one rather fast 45 minute journey, of which 75%-80% was at over 200kmh (120mph) last week (on a very quiet stretch of unrestricted Autobahn in Germany!! can't catch me copper
)
The other thing was just this morning where I opened the bike up to 280kmh (exactly) for a short while (don't you just love those Autobahns - suppose it depends whether the bike is buggered eh!?!)

If you have some good ideas, let me know eh?
Cheers
Damnit!!

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
you dont need the dealer switch all you need is a paper clip and you can jump the circuit and get it to give you a reading of the error. then go into the y2k forum and look at the post at the top of the page to see what the error is.

do a search on dealer mode switch and youll see how to do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chaps ... but now it seems OK, potentially due to some expert cable waggling from yours' truly

Yesterday I purposely switched the bike on and off again several times to reset the error and to see if it came back - it did, almost immediately

Today, after above expert cable waggling (ie checking all the connections are good and firmly in place), I get on the bike and head out to the Autobahn ... 20-30 minutes of testing in the direction of the dealer gives me no warning lights whatsoever

Just in case this error does rear its head again, could someone let me know which two of the 4 cables on this plug I need to short together to get my bike into dealer mode

Cheers all
Damnit

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahhh bugger - spoke too soon - took it out on the twisties this evening and the damn light is back - anyone able to answer my earlier question I would greatly appreciate it!!??
Cheers
Damnit

·
Registered
493 Posts
i get my red fi light on to when i screw the bollox of it, i think i may over-rev it and i get the light.

could it be this
or
can anyone confirm this is the case when over-revving by accident

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks chaps ...
... went to the dealer with it this morning on my way to work (no riding this weekend
)
He thought it might be the "exup style" valve when I explained my problem, but as is always the case, the error did not occur until after I had been there - but then it flashed up again, so I spun round and went back to see him.
He now isn't sure what it is, and as my German is not the best, I wasn't able to make him understand or explain "dealer mode switch" to him ... which I thought he would know about anyway!!?
Anyhow ... he noted that the red warning light and the F1 error alternates with the temperature display, but there are no other symbols showing (eg. oil, etc) ... he is getting on the blower to Suzuki to find out what they recommend and ringing me back hopefully today - I will update the post as soon as I know more.

If it happens again tonight though, I will try to short the cables out when I get home (only realised this morning that I need the second key to do this ... I can't switch ignition off to open rear seat cover as this resets the error!?)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just heard from the dealer that Suzuki reckon its a minor problem on the 'exup valve' ... they say that what can happen is that its either opening or closing a little too slowly or too quickly - thus triggering this error.

Solution from them is to disconnect the midpipe, coat the inside of the pipe with some kind of ceramic spray, then everything should be OK again!?

A long autobahn run where the exhaust gets very hot was named as a common cause of this type of error ... hmmm that'll be me last week then eh!? Doh!

Might consider disconnecting it though - since I am now out of my 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It doesn't sound like the dealer knows much ...

If only you would attach that wire and go for a ride and report back the error code
you would know exactly what the problem is.
When you attach that wire correctly your temp. display will change to -C00, which will then
change to the error code when the FI light comes on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts