Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After polishing my frame and putting my GSXR1000 K1 year 2001 UK bike back together I had an F1 fault. took it in to suzuki who diagnosed the exup valve motor was siezed so fitted a new one.this did not solve the problem and with labour charges for diagnostic testing it cost me over £1000.00 but I was told the bike was all working correctly the light just would not go out and the F1 / temp. keep flashing. paperclip test still shows C46 fault. the bike has since done nearly 2000 miles and seems to be running fine. has anyboby got any ideas how to solve this problem ? PLEASE...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like the dealer screwed you, codes are only caused by wiring or sensors. I'm sure you did something, just think back.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You can always remove all the SET valve parts and then remove a certain wire on the ECU. That will turn your light off. I am not sure which wire it is but I have seen it on this board.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I don't know exactly what the exchange rate is between the pound & the dollar, but if it's anywhere near what I think it is - you got RIPPED THE F**K OFF. Hell, if they charged you one pound, you still got ripped off, since they didn't fix the problem.

Saying that it's working fine while it's throwing an error is asinine. Sending it out the door & charging you money while it's displaying an error code is asinine.

Judging from their incompetence, (or dishonestly, don't know which) I'd guess that they just assumed the unit was bad, replaced it 'cuz it wasn't their money they were spending, and stood there scratching their empty heads when it didn't solve the problem.

Get yourself a service manual, read through the instructions, it'll tell you everything you need to know. More than likely, it's simply an issue requiring cable adjustment, or possibly wiring. First make sure all electrical connections are clean & secure. Visually inspect the EXUP assembly. If all looks well, go through the cable adjustment procedure in the manual. If this doesn't solve your issues, inspect the wiring more thoroughly & break out you multimeter to test the EXUP unit itself. Once again - it's in the manual. You know - the book most techs don't ever bother to pick up

good luck man - post back if you need any more help. I'd tell you to bring it into my shop, but that's a long way to come for service work

BTW - you can get access to the manuals in electronic form if you contribute to the site

Oh yeah - and one more thing... when the ecu gets that error, all it does (assuming it can communicate with the exup unit, and assuming the exup unit really is working) is set the valve to full-open. That's why you're not feeling a significant performance hit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey your post is a lot of help. i have an 02 1000 and i had the frame powder coated. the bike came out slick but now i have the same c46 code. my question is how do i get the service manual in electronic form and where is your shop?? note: when i start the bike i can see the exh. cont. valve act. open and the close. any further acvice is appreciated. zocady 02 gsxr1000

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is the code for the valve not being adjusted properly. Once adjusted properly it will go out. Chances are your valve was never siezed, sounds more like incompetence to me.

I just had to do this for my buddy when we put the bike together after powder coating the frame. Look in the service manual, it will tell you step by step how to do it. You will need a multi meter to do it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Ahhh, good to know stealerships 'round the world all love putting the big dick in the enthusist's ass'= )

hahaha, say that really fast.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
hey your post is a lot of help. i have an 02 1000 and i had the frame powder coated. the bike came out slick but now i have the same c46 code. my question is how do i get the service manual in electronic form and where is your shop??
Among other places, bro, you can get the service manual in these forums, if you subscribe as a member. It's well worth the small price, and it supports a great site (and no, I have nothing to do with the site itself). My shop is in AZ... kind of a long trip from OH

·
Registered
33 Posts
damn skippy thats a long way from cleveland. thanks for the help anyway... another question: have you ever heard of a power commander malfunctioning where if wont hold maps? i have the pc3r and it also stopped working after the powdercoating. the unit turns on with the key and then turns back off. even when i try to manually adjust the mixture with the 3 buttons it wont stay on. are you familiar with this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
it's not uncommon for electronic components to go bad bro. I'd send the unit back to dynojet & have them fix or replace it. They're pretty good about taking care of ya.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tanks for the advice I will have a go at adjusting the cables once I get my hands on a manual. Like yours when I turn on the ignition the valve opens and closes seeming ok. Still F1 light or not managed to waste a number of blades and R1's on the mountain I.O.M. TT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
c 46 is the exhaust valve servo that is causing the code. their is a wire (brown with black tracer) at the cpu that needs to be cut when installing aftermarket exhaust systems on 1K's. the servo still operates but wont show code anymore only if you keep servo electronice hooked up but disconnect cables. go to akropovic web sithe the have info on what wire for what year. by cutting the wire everyhing is still going to operate properly and you wont get the code anymore or as stated in earlier post just readjust the cables proprely.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
c 46 is the exhaust valve servo that is causing the code. their is a wire (brown with black tracer) at the cpu that needs to be cut when installing aftermarket exhaust systems on 1K's. the servo still operates but wont show code anymore only if you keep servo electronice hooked up but disconnect cables. go to akropovic web sithe the have info on what wire for what year. by cutting the wire everyhing is still going to operate properly and you wont get the code anymore or as stated in earlier post just readjust the cables proprely.
He doesn't have an aftermarket exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts