Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was breezing through the factorypro website and low and behold...they make a TRE for the 1000K5. I dont know if yall can wait for IVANS or JeffW but I think I will be picking up one of these.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I was breezing through the factorypro website and low and behold...they make a TRE for the 1000K5. I dont know if yall can wait for IVANS or JeffW but I think I will be picking up one of these.

Send me the link and Info where I can get it as well.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I believe they are misrepresenting this due to their lack of having a K5 to test.

Jeff has already stated that the connectors are different on the K5 model, yet FactoryPro just lumps it together with all the other models. They are only making one unit for all 'three' wire connectors.

Bottom line--don't buy it.

If they can't get something simple like this right, I question the validity of the rest of the statements

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ah....

So it just takes the governer off of the K5 at the loss of the gear indicator?

I'm sorry....I'll take what gear I'm in before I'll take another 10 or so MPH past 185 or whatever the limiter is at

·
Registered
758 Posts
it's really not worth getting it. I had it on my K3 and my TL1000R and it was minor noticable. I just rather get the +44 0r +43 Sprocket on the rear.

·
Registered
218 Posts
no offense, but who needs a gear indicator????

been riding all sorts of bikes for 15 yrs and never felt the need to "see" what gear i was in

·
Registered
31 Posts
not to start a fight but the tre does make a difference it will make for a cleaner throttle response. as well gain a couple of ponys. Depending on what you are looking to get out of your bike it is something to think about. Not sure if the connections are the same or what it will do to the gear ind. But the factory pro guys are pretty good at there stuff. I like the tre on my 04 1000 made a smoother ride in the corners and also gave me an extra bike or so length on my friends on the weekend pow wows lol. so dont over look what this little device can do. Thats all

·
Registered
165 Posts
no offense, but who needs a gear indicator????

been riding all sorts of bikes for 15 yrs and never felt the need to "see" what gear i was in
Been riding for 30 years and agree that a gear indicator is not a requirement, but since it's on the bike it would be nice to be able to use it, along with a TRE.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Ah....

So it just takes the governer off of the K5 at the loss of the gear indicator?

I'm sorry....I'll take what gear I'm in before I'll take another 10 or so MPH past 185 or whatever the limiter is at
Yup, that's pretty much it.

Except that it has nothing to do with 10 mph.

1 mph over 185 would take (186/185)^3 = 1.016 x the hp. On a 160 hp bike, thats an extra 2.6 hp, easy to see on a dyno with a back to back test.

Ever see a TRE dyno that showed this?

2.6 hp is 1 mph. 1 mph that nobody ever really uses. If the bike would actually get there. Which it wouldn't with any head wind or inclination on the road.

Removes an RPM limitation?

Maybe, but this is only good if the bike pulls max hp at redline. Which a stock bike does not, and a race bike should not either. Street, drag, road race, top end competition, it doesn't really matter, you leave head room for shift points and atmospheric conditions. Drag bikes don't even use 6th gear and they're probably the largest group of actual competitors!

A rear sprocket with 1 less tooth would do the same thing to the top end, and costs about the same as a discount TRE. Ever see anybody discussing rear sprockets with 1 less tooth to increase the top end?

Optimum fueling and timing are acceleration rate dependent. There should be an adjustment to the maps for each gear the bike is in. That's before ram air compensation.

So now we defeat the only speed indication the ECU sees (the speedo pickup goes directly to the speedometer), map the bike in 4th gear on a stationary dyno, and completely flush properly fueling the ram effects. Which are small, but a hell of alot larger than an imaginary 2.6 hp.

Should the ECU retard the timing at the top of 6th gear when the bike is at terminal velocity and basically running WFO at redline on a stationary dyno? Hell yes! Unless you want the engine to detonate into junk after 20 seconds.

This isn't a slam on those marketing discount TREs to satisfy a huge and completely irrational demand. I'm shitting hard on that irrational demand though.

I havn't tested an 05 yet, but I think we're all conceding the point that nobody completely understands them yet. If I get one, I'll keep the indicator thank you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i've got the switchable one from jeffw already.. makes a differance!!!!!! i leave it off untill i need it and just flip the switch, if im waxin someones azz or wutever...lol...only round 50 with shipping..not bad ...built a bracket and mounted the switch by the back shock area..

·
Registered
151 Posts
and yes it reads 5th when on even in nut. but thats what the switch is for

·
Registered
151 Posts
its one of those things to where ur told it makes a big differance.. so u think that it feels like it does but that might just be that its all in your head.....lol it seamed to have a better throttle response, but its really hard to say.... the true way i guess is on a dyno with it on and with it off....them down the 1/4 same way and see what happins... hey if it really makes a good differance then good if not.. well it was only 50 bucks......... but thats my 2cents...lol...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts