Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of people adding secondary oil coolers to their bikes. I understand that the bike will run cooler but what does that translate to in performance gains? I am rebuilding my bike and am curious if this is something I might want to do.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Given that you are running the motor hard, or running normally in a hot environment, the motor is less likely to nuke the oil into viscosity breakdown if an additional cooler is added. On an oiler, its much less of a pose than on a stock water-pumper (ie, like mine
). If you are rebuilding your motor into a more hi-perf setup than stock, then it stands to reason that your adjunct systems, eg, cooling should be beefed up to meet the demand.

It is very unlikely that you will ever wind up running the motor below optimum temp, but it will take a bit longer to warm up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will any oil cooler work or is there certain size I should try to use?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Take a peek at the 'adding and extra oil cooler is easy' on this forum.

You can either size up for a new one to replace your stocker (ie, aftermarket), or like the other thread, work a smaller aftermarket or water-pumper cooler into your bike in parallel with the existing one. Running a cooler in PARALLEL with the head oil supply lines can be done as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts